Proper procedure for executing a lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willya

I have negotiated a lease and all terms in the document are acceptable. The landlord's agent want a cashiers check for the rent and security deposit. An amount in excess of $7,500 when I sign the lease, weeks before giving me the keys. I recommended we execute the lease, exchange the keys/rent/security deposit at the same time. The agent is telling me the procedure is to give them a cashiers check when I sign the lease then they get the landlords signature and provide me with the executed document and keys the day prior to move-in in 3 weeks. I don't want to be difficult, but am a bit nervous about giving someone I have never met a large cashiers check and only receiving an unsigned lease in return.

What is the proper procedure here?

I take it the landlord's agent is a Realtor. I would give them a cashier's check in the name of the Landlord or the Agent with a signed lease. The check or funds can be held in the agent's escrow pending the release of the keys and a signed lease. We are only talking $7,500 which I'm sure is a chunk of money to you, but it's no where NEAR enough to make a licensed agent steal from you.

Anybody else?

Would like to hear from anyone with similar experience, recommendations. It just seems odd to give someone money without receiving an executed document or keys. When I purchase a home, its pretty simple. The documents are executed at the time payment is made. The deal is closed and done. I don't think its a smart move to give someone money without receiving anything in return.

Are you asking if I have any experience? I have 15 years as an owner of a Mortgage Company. The largest lease I ever signed was one with 15k/month in rent for 5 years. My escrow payment was $30k and it was delivered by certified check with a signed lease proposal.

You are being paranoid and it is obvious you haven't done this before.

No, I wasn't asking you if YOU have experience, congratulations on your big deal pal. I am in a forum full of people and I am looking for somebody else to provide some insight so stop getting your panties in a bunch when a forum member asks for an opinion rather than yours. I don't

Of course I haven't done this before. If I had I wouldn't be asking the question. Please stop responding to my posts and let others offer up the requested information. I'm sure someone as successful as you has something better to do buddy.

You asked for an answer, I gave you one. It's quite obvious from your paranoia that you have never done this before. I truthfully couldn't careless if you believe me or not. I hope you find the answer you want.

By the way, 15k a month is a fairly small lease. I'm not bragging, I'm just providing you information that I know what I'm talking about. Good luck. It seems you are the one with your panties in a bunch maam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back