Proof needed to terminate Alimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich9557

My ex just filed a petition to terminate alimony. He claims that I have broken the language of our MDA in regards to cohabitation, which reads "Wifes boyfriend staying overnight at wifes residence cannot be cohabitation unless it occurs an average of four nights per week averaged over a consecutive four week period."

He is trying to talk my adult children into testifying for him because he is "sure she is doing it". They dont want a thing to do with any of this (understandibly). I spent $98,000 on attorneys fees for a divorce that lasted 9 months, not because we have that kind of money but because I had that great of credit and could get loans. I do not want to hire another attorney if the burden of proof does not lie with me and I can go to court and show my boyfriend has a residence of his own, at which he receives bank statements and bills, we do not co-mingle money, bills, etc. I am enjoying the independence I have, unlike my ex I have no plans of marriage (he remarried in less than a year).

My question is this: Since he filed the petition, does he have the burden of proof? Can just anyone "say" they saw my boyfriends car there more than 4 nights a week and it be enough for the court? When we agreed to this language my attorney at the time said my ex would need to have an unbiased third party document the coming and going of "boyfriend" for 30 days (unless he stayed 16 days straight which would do it to).

My ex claims I have been breaking this judgement since Oct 1 2010, but waited until March 2011 to file a petition, so he is also asking for me to pay him back the alimony paid over the last six months.

I can see this going either way, actually.

Even though they're you're adult children, they may be found to be credible witnesses which obviously would harm you.

On the other hand, if you can show that your boyfriend has a permanent address elsewhere that may tip the balance in your favor.

He will likely not be able to reclaim alimony he's already paid; if he wins it will simply result in the order being modified and stopped.

yes, I think it could look bad either way. My oldest lives with me but works 24 hour shifts as an EMT and is in school, he sees my BF there "all the time" but lets agree, 4 out of 7 days a week is a lot, and he work 3 on 4 off. My youngest (19) has been to my BF's house several times this past year and as recently as last month. I was trying not to have them go to court as it is so stressful for them. I just wondered how my ex could prove I am doing this by having a neighbor testify that he drives by "daily" and his car is there. Seems like any angry ex could/would find a friend to say that! He is such a bully I know he is hoping I will just run the other way :0(

I suppose judges hear all kind of things from the ones paying alimony so they can stop giving that money away. If your sons are under oath and testify that your boyfriend is staying there, then there is a good chance he will win. Not to mention if they both testify on his behalf and he has someone else testify on his behalf. If I were you I would contact your attorney asap. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back