professional malpractice

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharon Milsap

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
Is it legal for a attorney to take your case and make it last for 12 years? During this time nothing is really done. Then when my doctor dies without him ever doing a depostion uses undue influences and treates to make me sign and settle my case for nothing. I have so many things against this attorney but the statue is up. Is this fair?

Fair is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy.

You apparently didn't take appropriate action way, way back when you should have, so I doubt if there's anything you can to now.

You are, however, welcome to consult an attorney who specializes in suing other attorneys for malpractice and review your options.

At any time in the 12 years you could have moved your case to another attorney.
No one can make you sign anything.

Is it legal for a attorney to take your case and make it last for 12 years?

There is no law stating that a case has to be resolved within a specific amount of time. They take as long as the parties want them to take.

If you wanted your attorney to take certain steps, and he didn't, you could have gone to a different attorney.

If your attorney's sloth has affected your case (i.e. by taking so long that your star witness died), you have a lawsuit in negligence. Hopefully you're not past the limitations period for filing that. If you are, you could still file a complaint with the bar association, but that won't get you any financial compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back