Process to evicting ex boyfriend

Amjacobs05

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hi, I have been rent a property for almost 6 months. The lease is solely in my name. Due to some issues my NOW ex-fiancé and myself are splitting up. I have asked him to leave and he told me the only way that I can make him leave is to have him served with an eviction notice. Is this true, even though the lease is solely in my name? If it is, how do I go about starting this process?

Thank you!

Is this true, even though the lease is solely in my name? If it is, how do I go about starting this process?

Yes, Google "eviction process FOR YOUR COUNTY, GA", and you'll learn what must be done to get the deadbeat out.

In the future don't allow anyone to live in an apartment that is in your name.

Also, don't become a roommate with others, that often ends badly, too!

You may also visit the clerk's office at your local courthouse. They likely have a pamphlet available that explains the procedure.
You may also all your landlord for guidance.

You can't legally force him out by changing locks, shutting off power/water etc., but you can make it less convenient to live there by not stocking food, toilet paper, dishes and other conveniences he probably mooches. You can turn off cable tv and internet service if you want. Make it a quiet and boring place to be and he might find someone new to mooch off of sooner.

he told me the only way that I can make him leave is to have him served with an eviction notice. Is this true, even though the lease is solely in my name?

It's true. You are his landlord. He is your tenant. It is a tenancy at will. Georgia law requires that you give him 60 days written notice that his tenancy terminates on (date).

See statute 44-7-7:

2016 Georgia Code :: Title 44 - Property :: Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant :: Article 1 - In General :: § 44-7-7. Tenancy at will -- Notice required for termination

If he doesn't leave by the termination date you file eviction through the court pursuant to 44-7-49 through 44-7-59:

2016 Georgia Code :: Title 44 - Property :: Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant :: Article 3 - Dispossessory Proceedings

Next time a guy wants to live with you, just say no.

he told me the only way that I can make him leave is to have him served with an eviction notice. Is this true

We have no way of knowing if you have the ability to "make him leave" without going through the courts. As a matter of law, however, he is correct.

how do I go about starting this process?

Since you're living with the guy, it would be foolish to try and handle this without the guidance of an attorney.

Back