1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Problems with my landlord

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by dommad, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dommad

dommad Law Topic Starter New Member

My husband was arrested for drug possession 3 months ago. Up until that point we had a spoken agreement with our landlord to accept our rent within 1-2 weeks of due date based on my pay period at work. Since the arrest he has refused to do so. Yesterday I recieved a call that we we're $1700 behind on our rent and if we don't have it within 5 days they will begin the eviction process. In the year and a half we have lived in this home our landlord has been late with repairs or has not done them at all, our basement is full of mold and the foundation leeks, our septic system backs up through the sink of our basement bathroom and we have no electricity at all to our second story which includes our bedroom. Do we have any legal standing on any of this? What would you recommend we do?[/SIZE]

2. confusedmother

confusedmother New Member

I'm not an attorney but maybe you should consider his threats to evict as a blessing? It sounds to me like you need a better home to live in, I would take pictures of the house, possibly even have a city inspector come through and document the problems that way when/if they take you to court you will have proof of the issues.

dommad likes this.
  3. dommad

We can't afford to live anywhere else, that's why Im scared. How would I get an inspector to come in and look around?

4. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

If you fail to pay rent or pay it on time you can be evicted. What state is this happening in?

5. dommad

Illinois. Rent is being paid on time per verbal agreement of bi-weekly half payments. I have a year of past reciepts stating that this has been the payments. We have no lease and therefore no document stating a due date for payment.

6. dommad

I am also curious what we can do about the living conditions of the house.

7. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

A policy of which by your own admission was ceased.

8. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Contact the Health Department

9. dommad

By the landlord the same day he threatened eviction

10. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

There was no term on this agreement meaning he can cease it at anytime. He was being kind and I guess he got tired of being kind.

11. dommad

there is no legal standing on a year long verbal agreement?

12. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

At what time did Landlord tell you that paying rent late was ok for duration of lease?

13. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

What does lease say about when rent is due?

14. dommad

There never was a lease, at the time of us moving in we spoke of what the best way was to insure rent was on time. This followed in a verbal arraingement of half the months rent per paycheck which I recieve bi-weekly. This agreement has been met by myself for just over a year and I have every reciept I have ever recieved to back it up.

15. dommad

we have no lease

16. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Then there is nothing binding him to to accept late rent payments without penalty

17. dommad

OK thank you, I always thought verbal contracts had a legal standing, thank you again for your help.

18. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Where are you getting a verbal contract was made? There was no contract just an ok with late rent there was also no time frame on which that would or would not be acceptable. You do however I presume have a rental agreement? When does rent say it must be paid there?

19. dommad

Thats what I have been trying to tell you, there is no written agreement or lease it is all verbal.

20. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Which works against you. Since there is nothing writing (mistake on both parties side) your dead. Start paying rent on time or get out. You have nothing to fight with