Problem with an ex roommate (Help please!)

kcgiggles1

Jurisdiction
Virginia
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Ok here is my situation:

I am a single 20 year old female college student who got in a lease with a friend for an apartment. The second month we had the apartment, my room mate could not pay her part of the rent. I paid it, I also loaned her money for other things that she needed, as she had a job and we were on good terms at the time. The next month she was $50 short on the rent, and had not paid back anything she owed me. During this last month, she also went with me to arron's to get a dell tablet as she was going back to college. I put it in my name, I know that was dumb, but I did as I had a discount for something I had purchased from them in the past. Anyway after months of not getting any money back, and her not paying her part of the rent, I moved out, and I gave her and the leasing office notice. Arrons is coming after me to pay for the tablet, I went back to the apartment as my name is still on the lease to get the tablet. I had to call a police officer as she locked me out. She told the police officer that she had left it at a friends house, and would return it to arrons the next day. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Now I have had to pay a payment to Arron's for the tablet or they would take me to court. and the leasing office is taking us both to court, as after I left she didn't pay anything towards the rent. I tried to call the police and they told me as for the tablet that is not theft but it is a civil matter.

What should I do, I was trying to be a good friend/person, and have gotten screwed. Now I am just trying to get out of these contracts with this girl, and get atleast some of my money back. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Thank you so much in advance.

She took advantage you and you probably won't ever get any of your money back. Whether it's family or supposed friend, any money loaned should never be more than you can afford to give. There's always the real chance that you won't get it back. You signed for the tablet. You owe the payments.

Your ONLY hope is to sue her in small claims court for what you can prove she owes you.

You'll probably prevail, and get a some satisfaction out of that.

However, she'll NEVER pay the judgement and disappointment will once more be felt.

If she never pays the judgment, not much more you can do.

Back