Jail Probation

Donna O

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My grandson is serving a two year probation for possession of prescription drugs. He has already served one year. A week ago he was with friends who were stopped for a traffic violation and he had an illegal knife in a backpack he was carrying. He is currently in jail with a bond of $1,500. He was told his probation will be revoked. How much time will he have to do for violating his parole? First time offender when he was arrested for the drugs. Would it be for the remainder of his probation period or is it the discretion of the court? And will a sentence be lighter since he is a first time offender

Honestly I'd expect him to spend very little time in jail. In fact he could be out already if the bail was paid.
Expect longer probation and more fines.

And will a sentence be lighter since he is a first time offender

He is NOW a a convicted one time offender, on his way to becoming a TWO time offender.

If he is convicted of the NEW charge, and he gets revoked, I suspect he'll receive between 18 to 36 months in prison, or perhaps 8 to 11 months in a county jail.

If he's VERY lucky, he might 12 to 24 months added onto his 24 months, and end up serving 48 months probation.

You and the family can pol your loot, spend some money, about $10,000 to 15,000 for a great lawyer to keep him out of prison.

Back