Probably a lost cause.. but is there anything I can do?

curiouskayla

Jurisdiction
Idaho
When I was 16, i had to set up a savings account that was connected to my parents bank account in order to have a job, and I also had to deposit half of each paycheck in this savings account. I was told it was to help me once I turned 18, whether it was for college, a car, an apartment, etc. I did this for almost 2 full years, never looking at the balance because I was only ever depositing money, never withdrawing. A week before I turned 18 I finally checked the account and there was only $500. Needless to say, I had a falling out with my parents, but over the next few years I did what I could to build up that relationship again, and the money issue was never brought up, in fear of ruining that relationship again. I am now 24, and, as suspected, the money issue has been brought up and the relationship gone. I thought over the amount in curiosity and realized it had to have been $10,000-$12,000 of money I earned that was taken by my parents without permission when I was a minor. I know this happened around 7 years ago and I'm pretty sure my opportunity of getting this money back is gone. But.. I figured I would ask for some guidance in the matter. Is there anything I can do at this point?

This will surprise many people.

Any money a child earns doesn't belong to the child.

The money you earned legally belonged to the parental units.

Parents are obliged to provide basic food, clothing, shelter, and schooling for their children.

Think about all the extras that your parents bought for you as a child. The cost of all that probably far outweighs whatever money they got out of your pay.

I'm sorry for you if you let that money sour your relationship with your parents.

When I was 16, i had to set up a savings account that was connected to my parents bank account in order to have a job, and I also had to deposit half of each paycheck in this savings account. I was told it was to help me once I turned 18, whether it was for college, a car, an apartment, etc. I did this for almost 2 full years, never looking at the balance because I was only ever depositing money, never withdrawing. A week before I turned 18 I finally checked the account and there was only $500. Needless to say, I had a falling out with my parents, but over the next few years I did what I could to build up that relationship again, and the money issue was never brought up, in fear of ruining that relationship again. I am now 24, and, as suspected, the money issue has been brought up and the relationship gone. I thought over the amount in curiosity and realized it had to have been $10,000-$12,000 of money I earned that was taken by my parents without permission when I was a minor. I know this happened around 7 years ago and I'm pretty sure my opportunity of getting this money back is gone. But.. I figured I would ask for some guidance in the matter. Is there anything I can do at this point?

No. It sounds like they were on the bank account so they were able to take that money - and you were a minor.

Lesson learned - don't let family borrow money and don't let them be an account holder. I get it at 16 you probably had no choice.

Back