Private property and detainment

Sharperone

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I went to drop off donations to a local thrift store late in the evening. I noticed several people were rummaging through the donation bins. While I was unloading the police showed up. The police approached me and asked to see my i.d. because there had been complaints of people dumping trash at the site. They also asked for the i.d.'s of the other people there. The police ran our I d.'s for warrants. I was free to leave after they ran my name, although I noticed they did place a couple other people under arrest. My question is since I was on private property, and not breaking any laws, did the police have the right to ask for our i.d.'s and to arrest those that had warrants?

I went to drop off donations to a local thrift store late in the evening. I noticed several people were rummaging through the donation bins. While I was unloading the police showed up. The police approached me and asked to see my i.d. because there had been complaints of people dumping trash at the site. They also asked for the i.d.'s of the other people there. The police ran our I d.'s for warrants. I was free to leave after they ran my name, although I noticed they did place a couple other people under arrest. My question is since I was on private property, and not breaking any laws, did the police have the right to ask for our i.d.'s and to arrest those that had warrants?

The police have authority to do many things.

Had you refused to show your ID, the police could have chosen to take you to jail, book you, fingerprint you, hold you, until your identity was known.

If you don't think the police possess such legal authority, next time tell them, "ID, I don't need to she you no stinking ID. Now, go away, leave me be."

Yeah, you do that, then come back and tell us how that worked out for you.

Yes, the police can go anywhere, do almost anything, to execute a warrant or a capias, even a capias pro fine.

The police have authority to do many things.

Had you refused to show your ID, the police could have chosen to take you to jail, book you, fingerprint you, hold you, until your identity was known.

If you don't think the police possess such legal authority, next time tell them, "ID, I don't need to she you no stinking ID. Now, go away, leave me be."

Yeah, you do that, then come back and tell us how that worked out for you.

Yes, the police can go anywhere, do almost anything, to execute a warrant or a capias, even a capias pro fine.

Other than when driving a vehicle there are actually very few occasions when a person is required to produce identification let alone carry it on their person.
Without probable cause to arrest, the failure to produce ID wouldn't do much more than possibly prolong the detention a bit.
In this case it seems there may have been cause to believe a theft was taking place rather than a donation so cooperation was certainly beneficial.

Other than when driving a vehicle there are actually very few occasions when a person is required to produce identification let alone carry it on their person.
Without probable cause to arrest, the failure to produce ID wouldn't do much more than possibly prolong the detention a bit.
In this case it seems there may have been cause to believe a theft was taking place rather than a donation so cooperation was certainly beneficial.

That may be true in California Deputy, but there are many other states in this Union.

It would be inadvisable for some financially challenged person, a person NOT of majority persuasion, or even a wealthy person to start arguing his or her rights at 2:30 AM in most instances, even in California.

A clever police officer, marshal, deputy, or LEO can find many reasons to justify an arrest.

I advise all who choose to listen to not start ranting about rights, and what the police can't do, when its far easier to comply and remedy the problem in a courtroom.

The street is NOT a place to argue your rights.

In MO, as in 23 other states, "stop and identify" is the law:

"Let Me See Your I.D." Stop and Identify Statutes - Know Your Rights | Cop Block

Stop and identify statutes - Wikipedia

Let me see your papers:

I advise all who choose to listen to not start ranting about rights, and what the police can't do, when its far easier to comply and remedy the problem in a courtroom.

The street is NOT a place to argue your rights.

Agree.

Plenty of stories on this and other sites from people who failed to heed that advice and rued the day.

My question is since I was on private property, and not breaking any laws, did the police have the right to ask for our i.d.'s and to arrest those that had warrants?

Everyone (police or not) has the "right to ask for" anything.

You prefaced this question by saying that you were "not breaking any laws," but the cops obviously didn't know that. They were obviously investigating a crime that had been reported. Why you think being on private property matters isn't clear. Are you under the impression that the police are barred from investigating crimes on private property?

I also agree about trying to argue about rights not being wise, but my comment was simply about providing ID.
Even states with stop and identify laws don't require you to produce ID. Simply giving your name and birthdate is sufficient.
There are few circumstances where you are obligated to produce physical ID. Many people don't even have a physical ID.
The OP here was at a possible crime scene and also driving a vehicle, so it was best to comply.
I agree there is certainly no issue with the private property concern. If it was truly private property (and it probably isn't) then the the people at the donation bin didn't belong there, which is even more justification for the police to contact them.

Back