Washington Private companies allowed to dictate financial choices?

F

firephoenix1

Jurisdiction
Washington
I purchased a health insurance plan directly from a company in my state. I paid on time payments from my business account. I own a LLC and am taxed as a sole-proprietor. My health premiums have always been a business expense. The company refused to accept payment and returned the checks and cancelled my insurance. In an email conversation prior to cancellation, I was told I could apply for an exception to their decision. However, when I logged on to get the form they provided a few days after that conversation, my account was suspended. I cannot access the emails they sent regarding this.

Does the company have a legal right to refuse payments and cancel my insurance because payments are from a business account? I cannot believe anyone has the right to tell me how to run my own finances. They cited I might incur a tax penalty if I paid from a business account. But shouldn't my financial and tax decisions be my business?

Does the company have a legal right to refuse payments and cancel my insurance because payments are from a business account? I cannot believe anyone has the right to tell me how to run my own finances. They cited I might incur a tax penalty if I paid from a business account. But shouldn't my financial and tax decisions be my business?

Ordinarily, yes.

But, in this case, I suspect you took out an individual policy that's available only to individuals and not to businesses.

I would have to see the policy and the application to make sure but if that was the case, then the insurance company did have the right to refuse your payments and cancel the policy if you did not meet its underwriting requirements.

If you want to run your medical insurance through your LLC, that's entirely up to you but you have to find a medical insurance company that has a product designed for businesses.

Ordinarily, yes.

But, in this case, I suspect you took out an individual policy that's available only to individuals and not to businesses.

I would have to see the policy and the application to make sure but if that was the case, then the insurance company did have the right to refuse your payments and cancel the policy if you did not meet its underwriting requirements.

If you want to run your medical insurance through your LLC, that's entirely up to you but you have to find a medical insurance company that has a product designed for businesses.

I don't believe it is an underwriting issue, since they told me the government "recommended" that they don't take payments from certain parties, one being someone's own business. However, I have always purchased an individual plan, before and after Affordable Care Act, and every company, even the exchange itself has taken payment from the business account. So why is this year's individual plans suddenly being treated differently?

I don't believe it is an underwriting issue, since they told me the government "recommended" that they don't take payments from certain parties, one being someone's own business. However, I have always purchased an individual plan, before and after Affordable Care Act, and every company, even the exchange itself has taken payment from the business account. So why is this year's individual plans suddenly being treated differently?

Perhaps that's a question best posed to your elected federal officials, the bureaucrats that operate the exchange that sells those "so called policies", or your state department that regulates health care insurance.

I'm sure you'll eventually receive some sort of response. Send those letters off today, citizen.

So why is this year's individual plans suddenly being treated differently?

Different company, maybe. Different underwriting rules. It happens. As I noted earlier, without seeing the policy and the application, all you've got is rampant speculation so there's really no point in kicking the dead horse.

Back