Private Boat Sale Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

forolio

I will attempt to give the readers digest condensed but accurate version.
This occured in Ontario Canada

I recently traded a 1983 motorhome for a 1982 boat of approximately equal value ($8000.00)

Although it was a trade we exchanged a written note to each other for a purchase price of $2000.00 so tax on the motorhome would be minimal.
(Motorhome $2000.00 / Boat $2000.00)

Correspondance via email prior to deal, pictures, condition, and any issues with either boat or motorhome. (Sight unseen)

Boat seller claimed motor had been rebuilt and had all documents to prove it.
As the motor was rebuilt in one email he stated he would "guarantee" the motor.

When I put the boat in the water the motor had a total melt down.

I had numeous eamils regarding the issues i experienced.
The repairs to boat are approximately $9000.00

When I look at the motor issues it equates to about $5000.00 that I would think he is responsible for.

Do I have any re-course to collect anything in small claims court?

LOL Irish. The reason why people don't have answers is because there is no way anyone can answer your question without seeing all the evidence. You can certainly try your luck in small claims court but you had better be prepared with all your evidence that the emails were part of the deal. The only thing I can tell is that you purchased a boat with no inspection and that was your fault. Unless it's in writing, it's your word versus his as to what the "guarantee" meant. Maybe the motor was rebuilt and he guaranteed that, not that it would run for 100,000 miles or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back