Privacy Laws Regarding E-mail Communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattseeker

Hello,
In my sensitive e-mail exchanges, I always include a message that the material is not to be shared with anyone except the intended recipient. From what I understand, this is part of Internet privacy laws.

But I now have an incident in which an unscrupulous individual has reposted my private communications to a public forum.

What recourse do I have in this situation? How do I enforce the privacy laws?

For reference, here is the exact text I include at the bottom of my sensitive e-mails:
This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited and may be in violation of Internet privacy laws.

Thank you,
Matthew

What "internet privacy laws" does do you think were violated by the sharing of the email? It doesn't violate any laws that I'm aware of.

You might have a "reasonable expectation of privacy", or something similar. I'm not sure that will be helpful. As far as I know, the reasonable expectation of privacy refers to the reasonable expectation that the government won't seize your email. It does not apply to other individuals. Once you put an email out, you can't expect it to remain confidential.

Putting some words at the end of your email does not create privacy law. I suspect you have no legal recourse because no law has been violated.

To begin, what was your relationship with this individual? Is there some special connection that might afford you with a privilege such as communications between a lawyer and client or doctor and patient? Were there any other circumstances that may exist which could affect the issue as to whether there was a reasonable expectation of privacy?

For the most part, these email disclaimers are not binding upon the recipient. Most attorneys will use them, which comes with a degrees of (1) paranoia of not having it there, whatever that means; (2) the hope of compliance by intimidation of potentially unscrupulous individuals; (3) the desire to appear like every other professional; and (4) and the "erring on the side of caution" philosophy where if there could be a benefit gleaned, it certainly requires no effort to obtain by including this at the end of emails. With regard to your disclaimer, much if it simply says you "may" have protection and that there "may" be a violation of law - but perhaps not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back