Previous owner refuses to give title or Bill of sale.

MotoMike117

Jurisdiction
Florida

Hello everyone and good afternoon. I recently bought a motorcycle from a "friend" in Gainesville Florida. He didn't have the title at the time. I trusted him because he was my counselor at rehab, is a pastor, and I've known him for 2 years. He was also my neighbor for 2 years. Yes I know I made a very stupid mistake but I can't fix it now without some help. I've learned not to trust anybody no matter what anymore. The reason I bought it without the title is because I was moving to Palm Coast the next day and I was able to cut $1500 off (in negotiations) because he wanted to sell it so bad because he bought a car and he didn't know how to work on it, and it needed about 2 hours in repairs which I did( been working on bikes since I was a kid) but would have costed over $1,000 at a shop. Also, like I said, I really trusted this guy. Well it turns out now that I moved and supposedly he moved as well, he would just give me the runaround about how he's about to go get the title and now he just won't even respond to me. The problem is I need to register the bike and I have no documentation of ownership. I do have proof of payment through zelle, if that helps. Any help on how to get this thing registered would be greatly appreciated.

Any help on how to get this thing registered would be greatly appreciated.

You can report his actions to the police.
They might assist you by investigating the allegations.

You might investigate, perhaps, an easier solution.
However, it can cost you more money.

What Is a Bonded Title?
Under certain circumstances, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) will issue a bonded title to a person who has purchased a vehicle but lacks a valid certificate of title. For example, the vehicle's seller may have not provided a title, gave the buyer a title that was improperly assigned or otherwise defective, or the title was lost or stolen before the buyer could get the vehicle registered.

Without a valid title, a vehicle cannot be registered, insured, or sold. A bonded title allows a vehicle owner to do all of those things. The bond securing a bonded title indemnifies DHSMV if it turns out that no bonded title should have been issued and provides a way to compensate the rightful owner or a lienholder.

I am NOT recommending any of these companies, just illustrating they exist.

Florida Bonded Title Process | Surety Bond Professionals

What is a Bonded Title and Why is it Needed? - Bonding Solutions

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82026.pdf

Florida DMV Title Transfer

Back