Previous Employer Making Negative Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrieder

I was employed by a company less than 90 days. I was let go and simply told I wasn't the right fit for his company. I've been seeking other employment and found out the previous employer declined to give out any information about me. He apparently didn't say anything negative but would not answer their questions. This obviously portrayed a negative image and I was not considered for the job. What can I do to protect myself from this last employer doing this again? If I took him off of my resume and excluded information about him in applications will prospective employers see that I worked for him?

With rare exceptions, I would just leave that employer off your resume. The employer has no obligation to talk to prospective employers.

Do you believe I have any recourse against this former employer? Also, the new employer had already confirmed a position to me. I had explained some of the problems I was having with the former employer to the new one. I explained to the new one that I was going to address the issues with the former. That's what may have led to my dismissal. Then the new prospective employer called the old one for a reference after he knew I was going to address problems I was having there. What was done was wrong on both of their parts. Any advice would be appreciated. Is there anything I can do here or is it all here-say if I don't have anything in writing...?

Recourse for what? The former employer is not required to talk to anybody wanting a reference bor ar ehtey required to give a positive reference if they do not feel you parted on positive terms. I would just leave them off your resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back