previous attorney put lien, new one dropped case

CharlieS15

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi, I had a very bad experience with my previous lawyer which led to me getting a new one.
When I fired the old one, he put a lien on the property I'm to inherit. He never told me he filed a lien and I only found out when my new lawyer got a response from the opposing party. He stopped answering my calls and would not get back to me. I finally got a letter saying he had dropped my case due to the volume of documents he received. I don't believe his explanation as there really wasn't much.

Would an attorney drop your case if they found out another attorney filed a lien for non-payment?

I had every intention of paying the previous one but we had an agreement that he would be paid when the case is settled. The one that just dropped me, I paid. I'm very confused here.

Also, will the lien hinder me from getting a new attorney to take my case?

Last edited:
Would an attorney drop your case if they found out another attorney filed a lien for non-payment?

Magic 8 Ball says, "More than likely."

will the lien hinder me from getting a new attorney to take my case?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Most professionals DO talk, and names of certain people get tossed about."

He never told me he filed a lien and I only found out when my new lawyer got a response from the opposing party.

What does "opposing party" mean in this context? The only clue you gave is the reference to "property [you're] to inherit." Is this a probate action? If so, what is your role in the case, and who is the "opposing party." If it's something else, please explain.

He stopped answering my calls and would not get back to me. I finally got a letter saying he had dropped my case due to the volume of documents he received.

I can't tell whether, in these sentences, "he" refers to the former lawyer or the new lawyer. I'm guessing the latter. Also, what does "dropped my case" mean? Did this attorney appear as your attorney of record in any court action?

As phrased, this question is vague and unanswerable. You seem to have told us that this is what your new attorney did. Right? If so, what difference does it make what some other, hypothetical attorney might do?

If you want to understand your attorney's motivations, then talk with him about it.

will the lien hinder me from getting a new attorney to take my case?

Unlikely, but it's obviously something you should discuss with any attorney whom you seek to hire.

So do you think that's why he dropped my case?

It could be a possibility, but the best way to kn ow for sure is ask the lawyer directly.

Arrange a meeting and ask the questions you need answered.

Because of the other attorneys lien? Even though I paid him?

The only way to receive the answers you desire is to meet with the attorney and inquire.

Your other option is write a letter to the attorney asking for answers about all the items that now puzzle you.

What does "opposing party" mean in this context? The only clue you gave is the reference to "property [you're] to inherit." Is this a probate action? If so, what is your role in the case, and who is the "opposing party." If it's something else, please explain.

Sorry, I'm trying to be a little vague. opposing party is the trustee I am filing suit against.
Not a probate action. Everything is in trust. I am an equal beneficiary of the trust. The other beneficiary is the trustee and has been lying, and trying to steal most of my inheritance.

I can't tell whether, in these sentences, "he" refers to the former lawyer or the new lawyer. I'm guessing the latter. Also, what does "dropped my case" mean? Did this attorney appear as your attorney of record in any court action?

Sorry, the new lawyer dropped my case after finding out the previous lawyer filed a lien.
No, we were about to file suit but he wanted to submit a demand letter first.

As phrased, this question is vague and unanswerable. You seem to have told us that this is what your new attorney did. Right? If so, what difference does it make what some other, hypothetical attorney might do?

If you want to understand your attorney's motivations, then talk with him about it.

Because the new attorney stopped representing me when he found out. Obviously If I am to hire a 3rd attorney, this may convince them to not take my case. He is no longer my attorney and he will not answer or return my calls.

Unlikely, but it's obviously something you should discuss with any attorney whom you seek to hire.

Hmm. You and Army Judge seem to disagree on that point. I don't know what to think. Logically I would just assume it would look bad and drive attorneys away because all they'll see is that I didn't pay a previous one even though that's because of the agreement we had.

Ok. So do you think that's why he dropped my case? Because of the other attorneys lien? Even though I paid him?

I don't have the slightest idea why someone I don't know and have never met did something with respect to a situation I know virtually nothing about (emphasizing the fact that you responded to none of the six questions I asked in my prior response).

It could be a possibility, but the best way to kn ow for sure is ask the lawyer directly.

Arrange a meeting and ask the questions you need answered.

The only way to receive the answers you desire is to meet with the attorney and inquire.

Your other option is write a letter to the attorney asking for answers about all the items that now puzzle you.

I will try but I called his office almost every day for a week after he didn't get back to me. It was always excuse after excuse and his secretary said she will tell him and have him call me back but he never did. He also ignored my email. And then I got the letter. He never seemed to have time for me from the very beginning.

I don't have the slightest idea why someone I don't know and have never met did something with respect to a situation I know virtually nothing about (emphasizing the fact that you responded to none of the six questions I asked in my prior response).

Really? That was a response to Army Judge. You aren't the only one who posted a response.
I did reply to your comment. Check again.

It seems to me that your c
Really? That was a response to Army Judge. You aren't the only one who posted a response.
The answer applies to everyone here.

Your response #4 in this thread isn't directed to anyone in particular, and your response #6 in this thread was posted two minutes before my response #7, which means it wasn't there when I was typing my response #7.

In any event, no one on this or any other message board can help you with the question in your original post. You'll never know until you call some other attorneys and ask.

I will try but I called his office almost every day for a week after he didn't get back to me.

Write a letter, send it via UPS, USPS Priority Mail, or FedEx, whereupon you'll receive proof of delivery.

You might need that information and a copy of the letter if it is necessary to file a complaint with the state bar authorities.

That will most likely be your next step, if you continue to be displeased.

Back