Preventing access to a dying family member by a spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a16r7zz

My father is suffering from stage 4 cancer of the lungs and brain and doesn't have much time left. His wife is currently my fathers caregiver at their home. They have been married for about 5 years. His wife doesn't like me and won't let me speak to my father. My father and I have not had the best relationship over the last 15 years but have both been trying to make things better. In reasonable attempts to talk with and visit my father, his wife has gotten very angry at me and will not let me see him or talk to him. She has made it almost impossible for me to work on my relationship with my father to try to repair our issues. My father has asked her to leave the room to be able to speak with me alone, but she will not leave or let me or any of my family be left alone with my father. It has been this way for the last 3 years. Unless he was at work, which he no longer goes to, nobody is allowed to have private conversations with him. She controls his every move and has him convinced that he is not able to make his own decisions.
Is there anything I can legally do to ensure I, and the rest of my family, have an opportunity to talk privately with my father, and for me to be able to speak with him at all?

Sure.... if she won't leave the room then you and your father can leave the room.
Go for a drive. Get out of the house.

My father is suffering from stage 4 cancer of the lungs and brain and doesn't have much time left. His wife is currently my fathers caregiver at their home. They have been married for about 5 years. His wife doesn't like me and won't let me speak to my father. My father and I have not had the best relationship over the last 15 years but have both been trying to make things better. In reasonable attempts to talk with and visit my father, his wife has gotten very angry at me and will not let me see him or talk to him. She has made it almost impossible for me to work on my relationship with my father to try to repair our issues. My father has asked her to leave the room to be able to speak with me alone, but she will not leave or let me or any of my family be left alone with my father. It has been this way for the last 3 years. Unless he was at work, which he no longer goes to, nobody is allowed to have private conversations with him. She controls his every move and has him convinced that he is not able to make his own decisions.
Is there anything I can legally do to ensure I, and the rest of my family, have an opportunity to talk privately with my father, and for me to be able to speak with him at all?

Unfortunately you are not legally entitled to speak with your father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back