Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Pretty Theft - experience needed!! Thx a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DradoLau

Dear all readers,

I am not living in US and is a visitor from Asia.
I picked up a used phone in a X-ray box in the LAX airport which was not mine by mistake. I was so careless that I do not really aware that until I am going to board the plane.
The police stopped me and ask me whether I get any one property that is not mine. I say yes and give them the old phone back. They said that the video captured my action on putting that phone into my bag. I did admit that and tell them that I should not pick up the phone that is not mine. I picked it up by mistake and the phone, in fact, is of no value to me because I have 2 more advanced phone in my bag already. They said that the "victim" want to take me to court and the date is Aug 17. I have absolutely NO crime record in my country as well as united states.

Here's a couple of question:

1) Should I hire a lawyer in that case? or I should be my own defense lawyer? If hire a lawyer is needed, what is the rough price? by hour or by case?
2) What will be a penalty to me if the judge think that I am quity?
3) The court is very rigid on date - they do not receive fax, email and just want a letter with a return envelop with stamp..... I basically give up to change the date.

Pls help.......

Drado

Since you are a foreigner I would definitely advise you to consult an attorney. Even US citizens in my opinion do not know enough about the working of the American criminal justice system, but foreigners definitely should not go at it alone.

An attorney then will answer all your other questions.

V picked up a used phone in a X-ray box in the LAX airport .
NYCLEX? Accidental, not likely! DUH??????????

V picked up a used phone in a X-ray box in the LAX airp
I have 2 more advanced phone in my bag already. Why would he need the phone then????
NYCLEX??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back