prescriptions question

Status
Not open for further replies.

totoro

I am posting this for my nephew who resides in the State of Indiana.

not sure if this is the proper forum.

recently his son, who was 18 yrs old, died from a drug overdose.
he had gone to a convienence clinic for treatment for what his father was told was an aching in his forearm. which may (or not) be carpal tunnel related.
after a cursory examination the physician prescribed 2 rather strong medicines.

1 was Darvocet A 500mg (propoxyphene napsylate with acetaminophen).
20 pills and advised to take 1 or 2 at bedtime if needed.

the 2nd was Daypro 650mg (Oxaprozin)
24 pills and advised to take only 1 per day

that was on the 4th of August, 2006

on the 12th of August he went to CVS pharmacy and refilled both prescriptions. which CVS did. it had to be evident to the pharmacist by the dates and directions for the prescriptions that they were being re-filled too early. in the case of the daypro much too early. about 16 days early and even if taking the maximum 2 pills each night of the darvocet he was re-filling that one 2 days early.

my questions are:

was it legal for CVS to re-fill such potent drugs that much time before they could have been properly used?

what are CVS's responsibilities in the matter?

are they held liable for re-filling such potent pain killers that much prior to when they should have been properly used?

I suppose that nothing can be done about the physician's conduct in prescribing such strong drugs over something like an Ibuprophen prescription, but the seems to me that the conduct of CVS is very much in question.

thanks for any assistance in this matter. if none of you has any direct advice... possibly some pointers on where to look into the matter?

appreciate any help and Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back