Precarious position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob6

Precarious, to say the very least.
I am an employee (civilian) of a state agency on a military base. Some time ago, there was a situation involving a city police officer who became under investigation by that officer's own department's IAD (Internal Affairs) for abuse of power, conduct unbecoming, lying, etc. My wife made a complaint, as did another neighbor who at that time lived in a rental home. At the time, neither my wife nor the neighbor knew of the other making a similiar complaint.

My family had a state of the art security system, to include security monitor protecting the outside perimeter of our home. We turned several tapes over to the city police department investigating the "rogue" officer, and agreed to testify in a civil service hearing filed by this officer in an attempt to get their job back, once that city police department fired them. To our dismay, the hearing never progressed that far. Apparently, our evidence saved that city government thousands in back pay, etc.

However, all of a sudden no one would return our phone calls, we were only advise we would not be needed to testify after all. Seems this officer somehow (per her attorney) got the city to agree not to let the "fired" status stand, rather, allowed that officer's record to reflect that they quit. Evidently, no mention, of course, that they would not be eligible for rehire. That didn't really matter to us, my family felt they had done their civic duty and gotten this individual off of the street.

HOWEVER, I have recently learned that this officer has applied, and already been sent a letter confirming her hire, to the exact place where I work. Yes, she had full knowledge that I work there. Of course, being a state position, the job had to be posted, oral interviews were given, etc. The state was fully aware of this individual's being ask to leave the city police department. Supposedly, they could not keep her from applying, which I understand that much. How could she pass the security clearance? The oral interview?

This officer was a known trouble maker. The city that "fired" her now refuses to supply the state with anything "in writing" stating the true reason for this officer's end to her employment with them, not even an "ineligible for rehire."

I graciously assisted this PD and supplied them with videos, literally, that enabled them to rid themselves of her. This individually sat smugly in front of IAD officers, lied, and replied "WHAT? You got it on video?" (Well, yes, indeed they did, courtesy of yours truly, but they didn't tell her that until the morning of the civil service hearing, which I understand lasted about 5 minutes.)

For my trouble, this person has now been hired by the stated, at the exact location where I work. PLACED AT THE FRONT GATE OF A MILITARY BASE with bells on? Someone capable of such gross misconduct? They've so kindly informed me that the individual would be working a different shift. When I questioned them why they hired this person, and expressed concern, the colonel (I am civilian, but we must follow the good ole chain-of-command) stated he would like me to write the matter up. What?

Matter of fact, I worked the vacant shift, which was different from my own, until they could hire a replacement --- ah...my luck...the rogue ex-cop.

How could my employer knowingly place me and my family in this position? This individual would drive (when with the PD) by my residence, minutes after my wife arrived back from the grocery, back and forth in an attempt to intimidate her, and to attempt to catch her on the street to write her tickets. Also, we submitted video of this officer backing into the driveway of the residence next door when my wife was working in the yard. This officer lied about being in our neighborhood at all while visiting friends in the area, and we produced video showing that officer's vehicle, unit #, etc., to dispute all claims (lies).

IN ADDITION, this officer, on duty and in a police car, pulled another neighbor's child out of school, led that child to believe it was official police business, and questioned that child about his and his parent's new residential address, with the specific intent of giving that information to a friend, who had rented the residence next door to mine to this child's parents.

How could this happen? What, if any, action do I have against the state for placing me in this position, and what about the city police department, God bless their little souls, for placing me here also?

Many, many times, this particular police department has allowed police officers to "resign" when they are guilty of crimes, showing up to work drunk, while driving their on duty vehicle while actually ON DUTY, stealing weapons from evidence to supplement their income, selling same to pawn shops, etc. They allow them to resign to save their precious department from being embarrassed.

Please feel free to email me with any advice and or suggestions. Would this be a civil rights violation against the state AND the city PD for failing to protect me and my family?

My take on this is that the city negotiated a deal with her in which she resigned. Had she not done so and had they discharged her, she was undoubtedly entitled to a very lengthy "due process" review of her discharge which would likely have taken many months and involved considerable expense. For what it's worth, I have several acquaintances who are Police Chiefs and they have told me it is an incredibly lengthy, complex, and expensive proposition to discharge police officers, even those guilty of gross misconduct. While you understandably would have perferred to see her discharged in disgrace, that simply may not have been practicable.

While your dismay at finding her now working on the same military base as you is completely understandable, they are free to hire whomever they wish.

Would this be a civil rights violation against the state AND the city PD for failing to protect me and my family? No. The city DID respond to your complaint and she is no longer employed as a police officer or in any capacity by the city/municipality. As for the military, you cannot sue based on what might happen. Apparently you've informed the Colonel of her past employment history and the problems she caused you and your family. (If you haven't told him the entire story, you should.) All you can do going forward is to immediately report to the Colonel or the proper authorities any further problems you or your family experience. If she shows up at your home again or contacts any member of your family, contact the police and you could also look into getting a restraining order if that happens.

Thank you so much for your prompt response. Unfortunately, you are right, there's not much I can do. I'm now wondering why I did not file stalking on this individual at the time, but my family had no reason to believe the department wouldn't act. We'd pulled all the tapes from the old house (have since moved) and placed them in a box in the attic. When we were asked if we had any evidence that could assist them, we were surprised at what we had once going through the tapes. You're right, the city was looking out for their own skin. When my wife expressed concern this rogue officer would load her with paper, she was told by the city that we'd worry about that when it happened. That was our first red flag.

I'm a retired, 30 year career officer, as are the others (retired, career) I currently work with. All have excellent work records and we're not at all happy about this individual coming to our work place. Again, thanks Beth, for clarifying this situation.

You're welcome. Let's just hope her true colors become apparent quickly on the new job and the powers-that-be decide they'll be better off without her. If she's an "at will" employee, then it should be an easy task to get rid of her if they find her behavior or job performance lacking. In the meantime, make sure you don't give her any reason (accidentally or on purpose) to complain about you. She may have concluded that an offense is the best defense in order to keep her new position as she may have rightly assumed you've told the CO all about your past experience with her. So in other words, keep your distance.

If the job causes you to have any interactions with her or you have any problems involving her, do keep private notes just in case you need them at a future date.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back