Arraignment, Bail, Bonds, Pretrial Pre-Trial Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmoney55

I was arrested a few weeks ago on 2 paraphernalia charges, CDS possesion of marijuana, and CDS possession of mushrooms. I was released with no bail because I had no previous criminal record. Part of my release however was that I report to what they call a Pretrial Supervised Release Unit once a week. They basically have just tested me and checked to make sure I haven't gotten into anymore trouble since then. They also required me to sign up for drug classes. My Preliminary Hearing is next week. I talked to a lawyer immediately after my arrest and told him everything I was charged with and what they have done so far. He told me that he believes they will just put my trial on a "Stet" (spelling?) and leave me on this sort-of probation program and that having a lawyer for this first hearing was up to me but really wasn't necessary. As the hearing draws closer I just find myself worrying again about what may happened and wanted to get a few more opinions. What exactly may happen at this hearing? Should I bring a lawyer? And what would you recommend I do/say, if anything, if I don't have a lawyer present?

What is your location?

In these cases Geography and who your Judge is are very important. . .

If you know the Judge already, I recommend you call other lawyers and ask their opinion, if they are willing to give you one(Many won't if you have a lawyer already).

If you lawyer is unfamiliar with the court, and your charge, then going alone may cause your life before sentencing to be more difficult then it needs to be.

I am assuming that when you say hearing, you mean arraignment.

If it is pre-trial, than your lawyer is most likely an idiot. That's when most of the plea bargaining occurs, and you often then plead in front of the Judge on that very day.

Is the mushroom charge a misdemeanor or a felony?

Good Luck.

The exact title of the court appearance they gave me was "Preliminary Inquiry." I live in Baltimore, Maryalnd but was arrested in Anne Arundel County. I'm not too sure about the judges from that area I wasn't really able to find any information. I haven't actually hired the lawyer I spoke with yet, I don't have a personal lawyer because I'm only 18 and haven't had a need for one until now. I chose to consult with him because he was from the area and I figured he would hopefully know their system around there though pretty well. If what he told me is completely wrong however then I will consult another lawyer that I have found who is well reviewed in defending criminal cases such as this. As for the mushroom charge I'm not quite sure. Here's what they've told me so far what the maximum penalties could be for that: 4yrs &/or $25,000. Thank you for your advice.

I'm unfamiliar with your geographic region, however, I think you should get an attorney immediately. I also think it would be in your best interest to ask around. You're facing a felony on the mushroom charge. While you are out on bail, the court has the power to make your life somewhat miserable, possibly with daily alcohol testing, frequent (3X week or so) drug testing, all of which you most likely have to pay for. The court can also restrict your movements.

Your charge seems like something that can be plead down, hopefully to a misdemeanor so you don't get a felony.

A lawyer, while expensive now, will save you a lot of money and hardship in the long run, as long as the lawyer knows what he is doing. Make sure it's a criminal defense attorney, and ask how many or how often they do drug charges such as yours.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back