Pre-employment background and Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogzhad

Hello,

I have a lead on a promising new job and have been invited to an interview. I have some concerns about the hiring process because I am about halfway through a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. The prospective employer sent me some information and materials they would like me to bring to the interview. Also among the materials are an application and a consent to a background check form.

I have some concerns and would appreciate any guidance you all could offer:

-I'm uneasy giving them the application and consent form until I feel I want to pursue the job - frankly I wouldn't do that even absent the bankrupcty - I don't want that to be awkward, though. Suggestions?

-I'm particularly concerned about the impact the bankrupcty could have on their hiring decision. I see that they can't discriminate solely on this basis, but realistically, what should I expect? This is for a legal services job - curious about people's opinions on how the bankruptcy might impact their decision. Comments?

-Generally, I would think a bankruptcy doesn't help one's prospects in seeking a new job - is this such a big factor that I should avoid pursuing new opportunities until my discharge?

Thanks in advance - appreciate the help.

Be upfront and honest.

Employers like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back