Prayer For Judgement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmp1110

I know this is probably very repetative on this board, but what exactly does a prayer for judgement entail? Is it a reduction in the fine, does it not go on your insurnace? Any input is very much appreciated.

I've had several, here's the deal: You pleady guilty (generally to a reduced charge for speeding,) before you know if you are going to get the PJC. Then, when the judge asks if you have anything to say before you are sentenced, you ask for the PJC. Some judges give them away, some have requirements (like examining your driving record.) If you get the PJC then there is no fine only court costs (of $100, the fine is usually less than $25, so big deal.) More importantly you aren't assessed any insurance or DL points. If you get a ticket within a year, however, the insurance and DL points will reappear. You can get as many PJCs as you want (until the judge won't give them any more, I had 2 at the same time at one point in time for different offenses,) but as far as the insurance goes you can use 1 every 3 years. Not a lawyer, but been to traffic court a lot, goes with my job.

As a side note, if you are licensed in another state than NC, a PJC won't do you any good, because NC will still report the ticket to your home state, it is just noted PJC (which your state probably doesn't know what that means.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back