Prayer for Judgement in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

user843257

I have court on Monday for speeding 78 in a 55. I honestly wasn't paying attention and the State Trooper told me that he appreciated my cooperation and said he would take care of me when I spoke to the DA. My question is if I am elegable to use the Prayer for Judgement. I moved to NC 2 years ago and have not had a speeding ticket in the last 3 years. My other issue is that I have suspended driving privledges in PA for a refusal to blow, but not for DUI. I have not been able to update my driver's lisence home address because PA has a hold until march, will NC find my hold when I go to court and suspend my lisenece in NC now? The I told the State Trooper that my address had changed, but I have now moved from that address too.

Try to go in and see the DA before your court date and see if they will allow the PFJ. Your other option may be to enter a plea of not guilty and request a jury trial. This will put you past March and you may have the other situation cleared up by then. The downside is that you may lose the opportunity for the PFJ.

I went to court today, and after a long wait (they had 600 people on the docit for the day) I was able to ask the DA for PJC (Prayer for Judgement). She said that I needed to have an offical driving record to be considered. She offered to reduce the speed, but I requested a continuous. The state trooper said that he would speak to the DA on my behalf because he said I was very cooperative, but I only saw him come in right before the judge came out and he just sat down.

My question is, if I spend the money and get the driving record, what are my chances of being denied PJC and is it even worth it to get a lawyer to assist me. Since I have been in NC (2 years) I have not received a speeding ticket. My last ticket under my VA lisence was in PA 3 years ago.

What county did you receive the ticket?

How much of a reduction in speed were you offered? In NC, 9 or less over is no insurance points as long as you have no other speeding tickets 12 mo after conviction.

The "suspended driving privledges in PA for a refusal to blow" sounds like a potential land mine. Was this while you had a VA licence? How did you get a licence in NC?

Since anything more than 15 over can result in a suspension of your licence in NC, you might want to consult with a lawyer.

I received the ticket in Franklin county, NC. I did not ask how much of a reduction she would offer because I did not believe she would drop a 78 to a 64 in a 55, and I wanted to ensure I could get a continuous. The suspended driving privledges occured with my NC lisence and will end in may. I plead guily to public drunkeness, disorderly conduct, and something similar to not acknowledging traffic signals.

prayer for judgement in North Carolina

I am trying to find out, indeed, just what is 'prayer for judgement' and how can it be
applied to traffic citations, with in mind that my driving record is impeccable.

They won't drop it 2 levels. The levels are (0-9 over, 10-14 over, and 15+ over.) They will almost always drop it one level if you plead guilty. Some DA's are requiring traffic school to drop it from 15+ over to 14 over. You have to pay attention to the offer, too. I've been offered a drop to 10 over (from 13 over) the speed before. I laughed and asked what good that would do me. She just looked up and said OK, 9 over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back