Posting Private logs and Defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

northcoast

Someone I chatted with privately is threatening to post the logs of our chats (cyber sex, discussion of family and friends, etc). My name and old address are the in the logs as are first names of friends that we discussed. As far as I remember (this was over a year ago that we stopped talking) I didn't say anything defamatory but I know I said some things they'll find hurtful. He hasn't come out and said it, but the general idea is that if I don't start "being nice" to him again it will all get posted. IF he goes through and posts logs of private chats, can lawsuits be brought against me if I did say something someone considers defamatory? Also, do I have any legal recourse against him for posting the logs of chats against my wishes? I don't want to actual make things worse, of course, I am just hoping that if he knows I'll take action he will find someone else to bother. Thank you for any guidance.

hello

i think u dont have to worry ! simply u can deny and accuse this person of hijacking and spying and inventing things u didnt say.
ummmm simply deny! it may sound silly but thats wat i think :D

I haven't seen this post before, but there are some possible legal problems: First of all he could try to sue for invasion of privacy, here an unlawful public disclosure of private facts that would be highly offensive to a reasonable person and to which there is no public interest.

Then there seems to be a threat of blackmail in it, too, against which steps could be taken.

To say more and to find out if there really is legal recourse, one would need to know all the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back