Posting of private emails to message boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralence

I had some correspondence with a company through their "support" email, due to some confusion regarding their product.

A public message board I frequent had a lot of people with the same confusion, so I posted the email correspondences, my side, as well as the reply's from the company. Ironically, it was actually favorable for the company, because there was an error made on their part, but they had corrected it, which was a benefit to the consumer.

Apparently the company found out, or was notified, and I recieved an email stating that posting emails copied from our correspondence was "illegal".

The emails contained no more than one sentence each, so I don't believe they'd be covered under copyright law, but I couldn't find anything to reference. There is also nothing at all on the website, or in the emails that states it is for use of the recipient only.

Is it in fact "illegal" to post private correspondences on a public forum? Including those that contain nothing that would fall under general copyright law?

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back