Posting Bond through a bonding agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDBLUE

I posted bond for a family member three times. Once in Jefferson Parish, once in Dade County Florida, and the third time, more recently, in East Baton Rouge Parish.
Upon the Court date passing and obligations (court date met) I was able to get the money back that I put up. The incident in Jefferson Parish was done between myself and the Parish officials. The event in Florida was through a bail bondsman. The third event was also through a bailbondsman.

My issue is this. In the third incident, the Bondsman says he is not obligated to return my money. The case is settled, he did his part in getting him released from jail. I told him my understanting was the money should be returned after the obligation of court date was settled. He says no. If I want to pursue it, I should seek an attorney. Is he right or just attempting to take advantage of me?????

10% Fee!

You pay a Bail Bonds person or business around 10% of the total amount of the bail and he is the one who puts up the entire amount with the court, and that 10% fee is his to keep and is not refundable. The bond would have been returned to you 100% upon appearance of the defendant if you had posted the entire amount yourself and directly with the court.

Bail Bonds are basically bookies who take a risk on a defendant for 10% of the action.

fredrikklaw

A appreciate your answer. I am still confussed why the money in the Florida incident was returned. Maybe I paid the whole thing through him? or, he just liked me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back