Possible Wrong Statute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgbruthajuvi

I was caught doing 75 in a 55 by an airplane in Florida. I've already read that both the pilot and the sergeant involved in the ticket need to show up (i'm requesting the court date tomorrow), but I have a quick question regarding the statute used. The officer did get my race wrong but that is immaterial in my opinion so I'm out of luck there.
The officer wrote the statute 316.187.2c on my ticket, and when i looked it up, 316.187 has two laws. 316.187.1 is Unlawful/Speeding. 316.187.2 is Unlawful/Speeding/Interstate. However, I was caught speeding on 878, which is not an interstate highway, its a 2 mile branch of 874 (not an interstate) that ends at US-1. Did the officer write the wrong statute number, and if so, can I get out of the ticket using this fact?

Also he didnt check any boxes for reckless driving so if im convicted, will that vastly increase my insurance rates anyway? One last question, is there a reason why he checked the box on the ticket saying an appearance at court was required? I wasnt aware that you had to go to court for any ticket.

Actually I just saw that my source was outdated. 2c now says "The Department of Transportation is authorized to set such maximum and minimum speed limits for travel over other roadways under its authority as it deems safe and advisable, not to exceed as a maximum limit 60 miles per hour."

Not really sure why he put that on my ticket, but now im faced with the option of just hiring a lawyer for 70 bucks (ticket was 205) and "no points no fees", going to no contest it (i hear its half the ticket cost, but i dont know if i get points considering it was 20 mph over), or just going to traffic school, which costs 180.

Florida Speeding Ticket

Normally your best option is traffic school if this keeps the ticket completely off your record.

Call the clerk of court and see if you are eligible for an online traffic school. This keeps you from having to go to court and also keeps down your insurance premiums. Here is a link for more information
ONLINE TRAFFIC SCHOOL

If you are not eligible for traffic school then call the ADA before your court date and see if you can negotiate a reduction without going to court. If not then hire an attorney. A 20mph over ticket usually increases your insurance between 25% and 50% depending on the company. I have had reports that Geico was dropping anyone with a 20mph+ ticket but not sure if this is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back