Possible judgement against me from shoddy landlord but received no paperwork?

L

lblblb

Jurisdiction
Virginia
So this is going to sound like a sob story, which its not, because I knew this would probably happen and I know there are things I could have done to stop it. I got an apartment with another girl (we were both on the lease) last year. Paid a $500 security deposit. After about 6 months of living together, I couldn't take it anymore. She was late on rent every month and asked me to make up for it. She was constantly bringing hardcore drugs into the apartment and just leaving them lying around. She was disgusting and left used feminine hygiene products out in the open and refused to clean up food in her room. She was violent and explosive and generally unsafe to be around. She even went so far as to hit my dog one day. I took as many photos as I could and screenshots of our texts and presented them to our leasing office. I told them I would pay whatever was needed to get out of the lease because I felt very unsafe. They told me that I could not break the lease without her signing off too (she refused) and my only option was to basically call the police on her and take her to court, which I had neither the time, money, or balls to do. So I just left. I moved back in with my parents and continued to pay my half of the rent online. When the lease was ending, I sent them a letter stating that I did not wish to renew. I also sent them my forwarding address. I have NO IDEA in what state the apartment was at the end of the lease. I was contacted via phone ONCE by the leasing office. They left a voicemail with no details. When I tried to call them back, I gave up after 3 attempts with the phone just ringing and ringing. Now, about 2 months later, my boss tells me he received a call from a legal office attempting to garnish my wages (he pays me in cash, so not sure how that will even work) over charges from the landlord. I was never served any papers about a judgement and this is the first I'm hearing of this. It doesn't surprise me that there was a cleaning fee or even worse after my awful roommate moved out, but why was I not contacted at all about it? So far, I see no changes to my credit score. Should I just wait and see what happens? I really don't want to contact them unless I have to. Again, I left a forwarding address and they have not sent me any paperwork here. I don't plan on ever renting again. In fact, I plan to purchase my next home in cash, so I don't need that landlord's recommendation. I had read that in VA, landlords had 30 days to provide an itemized list of damages. I was provided with nothing and it has been well over 30 days. Should I just do nothing? If it matters, I also had no working A/C for 3 months, despite multiple service requests and even threat of a lawsuit. So I basically couldn't care less about these people who didn't care about my health and safety. I really should have taken both them and my roommate to court, but again, I didn't have the time and I was scared.

The garnishment isn't going to go away until you deal with it.

Are you paying taxes on those cash wages?

You didn't answer my question. How could they have a judgement against me when I have not been served any papers and never even got a phone call? And how can they garnish cash? No, my boss doesn't issue me a 1099 or anything like that. There's no record of any payment.

You didn't answer my question. How could they have a judgement against me when I have not been served any papers and never even got a phone call? And how can they garnish cash? No, my boss doesn't issue me a 1099 or anything like that. There's no record of any payment.

I suggest you start by checking eviction proceedings in the county where the apartment is located.

In order to LEGALLY levy against your wages, attach your bank account, your property, or whatever assets someone can find; the party would have had to taken you to court, received an eviction and a judgment against you for a SPECIFIC sum of money.

If such a judgment exists, it too, can be found in the county court where the property is located.

I suggest you start searching the court site in that county, use public search engines that provide lawsuit information (use Google or Bing to find one or two), and checking your credit report would also show such a judgment having been issued against you.

Ask your boss to refuse to discuss anything about you on the telephone, and insist the caller send him something in writing to PROVE you were successfully sued and a judgment issued.

I suspect the LL is simply blowing smoke trying to scare a few more buck$ outta your hide.

But, it would be wise to search those places and see what you discover before you sigh a sigh of relief.

Back