Eviction Process Possible Eviction Situation

Trev

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I am a resident of Michigan currently renting an apartment with my sister.
Before I was added, my sister rented the apartment to another person and did not register them with the office. The office found out about this and said it was grounds for eviction, but the person ended up moving out, the office did not take action give her an eviction notice, and I moved in shortly after, registering with the apartments.
About 5 months passed and my sister unintentionally did not have enough money in her account to pay rent. I normally give her my part of the rent and she pays through her account.
We ended up paying the rent shortly after, plus the late fee, and now the office is upset again and threw out the possibility of evicting.
A month passed and we've paid another month of rent on time, but we still are unsure what they'll end up doing.

1. How long does the office have to decide whether or not to evict?
2. Can they evict us if we paid the rent + the late fee?
3. Can they still use the situation where an unregistered person lived in the apartment before us as grounds for eviction even though nearly 6 months have passed?
4. Can they evict me even though I was not a resident at the time that the unregistered person lived in the apartment and would that go on my record?

Trying to buy a house by March and looking at moving in by April. Really want to avoid an eviction going on my record even though I did nothing, and would also like to stay in the apartment as it would be a great inconvenience to find a new play for two months.

Any thoughts/answers would be appreciated, especially with citations to Michigan laws.

Thank you!

OK, now understand the difference between a termination notice and eviction notice. Eviction is a court process that, for the most part is preceded by a termination notice. Between now and the June expiration the termination has to be for cause and, depending on the cause, the tenant might or might not have to have the opportunity to cure that cause.

That you are currently registered with the management and that the latest rent was accepted would seem to eliminate any issues arising our of prior events and would indicate that the landlord is blowing hot air.

Michigan's landlord tenant statutes are spread out in several places so start with this guide:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/tenantlandlord.pdf

Then you can read the statutes at the following links:

Michigan Legislature - Act 348 of 1972

Michigan Legislature - Act 454 of 1978

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.139

Michigan Legislature - Page Not Found.

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.201

Michigan Legislature - 236-1961-57

OK, now understand the difference between a termination notice and eviction notice. Eviction is a court process that, for the most part is preceded by a termination notice. Between now and the June expiration the termination has to be for cause and, depending on the cause, the tenant might or might not have to have the opportunity to cure that cause.

That you are currently registered with the management and that the latest rent was accepted would seem to eliminate any issues arising our of prior events and would indicate that the landlord is blowing hot air.

Michigan's landlord tenant statutes are spread out in several places so start with this guide:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/tenantlandlord.pdf

Then you can read the statutes at the following links:

Michigan Legislature - Act 348 of 1972

Michigan Legislature - Act 454 of 1978

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.139

Michigan Legislature - Page Not Found.

Michigan Legislature - Section 554.201

Michigan Legislature - 236-1961-57

Thank you, much appreciated!

I agree, it does not seem anyone intends to kick you out at this point. They just want the money.
Even if an eviction was eventually pursued you could likely delay it beyond the time you intend to be out anyway.

Back