Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse possession of crack charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volantina

Florida :(

I currently live in Florida. I moved here from New Jersey. I have 2 felony convictions in New Jersey and am currently on unsupervised probation for narcotics.
I was arrested in west palm beach florida for crack cocaine possesion. I was giving a man a ride, i did not know him personally, from the local store. i dropped him off in a known drug area, the police officer came behind my car which was stopped to unload the passanger. he asked me to get out of the vehicle, he handcuffed me and questioned me, i explained i was dropping someone off. he questioned the passanger which was outside my vehicle as i had just dropped him off when the cop arrived. the police searched my car, and found a small piece of crack cocaine on the center or passanger side of the console. he questioned the man and let him go but arrested me. i explained it was not my drugs and the man dropped it when the police arrived as he exited my vehicle. i have a defense lawyer that thinks i should take the plea bargain of time served and a 3rd conviction on my record. if i plead guilty i will have an additional felony conviction. lose my license for 2 years, and possibly violate my probation, which is already violated because i was arrested and did not tell my probation officer. what your advice? much appreciated, P.S. I need an immediate answer to this matter for i have court in acouple days and need to make a decision before then.

No one can tell you what is best for you.

What I do tell defendants, is you know what the offer says.
You never know what a jury will do.
Your case is a very tough one.
You know that you weren't just conveying a passenger.
There was some type of potential profit in it for YOU.
It could have been for sexual services or drugs, or both.

A third conviction could mean some long term incarceration for you.

Will the deal help?
Yes, you get Florida off your back.
Prisons in Florida are not as nice as NJ.
NJ will no doubt revoke you, and you'll do a few months there, rather than a couple years in Florida.
Even if you beat the FL charge, NJ is gonna revoke you anyway.
Those are some things to consider.

If it were me, I'd take the deal.
A defense lawyer never knows what the prosecution has until you get to trial.

But, you know it all.
You were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, losing your license is of no moment, import, or consequence; when contrasted to the loss of your freedom.

I'd still take the deal.

Florida prisons are worse than New Jersey prisons.

Albeit, Florida weather is much nicer.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a tough one.

Whats your defense?
They had no probable cause to pull you over and cuff you?

Then search your car.

Sounds like the crack was in plain sight anyway.In that case,theyre gonna say they seen it from outside the window.

I think a better idea may be to try and get misdemeanor probation in florida
and get nj to roll with it.

This way,you have your liscense,you werent convicted of a felony,and your prob in nj wont be soo thirsty to violate you.

My bro did the same thing in FL but hes in NY.
You should have been in touch w/nj and let them know.
This way you could have wieghed your options AND known what probation would have rolled with the best.
Its not too late.
Keep us updated
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back