Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Police still have all my belongings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summerlouise71

Last June my boyfriend and I moved into an apartment with another couple. A couple we obviously didn't know that well. The lease was in their name. In July 2009, the police raided our apartment. Both of our roommates were arrested for numerous charges, including the sale of dangerous drugs. When the police searched our apartment, they found NO drugs, drug paraphanillia or any illegal substances in our room. They even searched our room twice, creating a disaster. My boyfriend and I were told to leave the premises and no charges were filed against either one of us. When we returned the next day, of course the manager ever so nicely asked us to get out, but all of our personal belongings were gone. Everything! Even baby pictures were taken. Our ex-roommates, since then have been charged several more times with the exact same charges and are still awaiting trial. I have tried several times to contact the officer in charge of the search warrant that was issued and have been given the run-around. I have even tried contacting the DEA in regards to retrieving our belongings. But have been basically told that I'm out of luck. Too bad. Is there anything I can do to retrieve our things? Please help... I'm completely frustrated!

First off, have you identified what agency is actually in possession of your property?

If the items are being held as evidence, you might have to engage an attorney to seek the return of your property as they might hold onto it until after trial and any potential appeals period has expired (and this could be a couple of years).

If you cannot contact the officer who was in charge, speak to his supervisor and then work your way up from there. The best way to do it is to actually appear at the office as it is harder to dismiss you that way. If you make a continued effort, eventually someone will get tired of hearing from you and they just might look into the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back