police lied

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank082763

Recently purchased a handgun. Tested it by firing a few shots near the woods behind my apartment building. Someone must have called the police as several showed up within an hour or so. After checking out my license, they said there would be no charges and they only wanted to check out the gun. I wasn't going to hand it over until they said that. They said they would return it in three days. I handed it over and they left. Three days later one of the cops drops of two tickets, Prohibited use of a Firearm, and Disorderly Conduct. Very unethical, but any chance of having the charges dismissed based on the lying? My girlfriend witnessed the whole thing and can support me on this matter. Thanks

The police are permitted to lie. However, if the lie resulted in them obtaining evidence they otherwise would not have had access to, that might be a problem. But, did they lie? They said they wanted to check the gun out? Did they say that you would not be charged? Did they NOT check the gun out?

In this case, it is very likely that had you not turned over the gun, they may have sealed the residence and obtained a search warrant ... i don't know if they would, as I don't know your state or how serious an offense this is. But, if I had witnesses to you firing a gun in violation of the law, I'd likely freeze the scene until I got a warrant unless you handed it over.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

your shooting a gun in public, and you got slapped on the wrist. What world do u live in? You helped the police in solving crimes against you...very rookie mistake. You either play by the law, or play against it, but sitting in the middle will only give you hardships. You've got to understand most police are out to get you. If you break the law and then confess it doesn't clear you of charges. Your lucky you didn't get more charges, even with a permit...they couldve smacked you with a lot more. Thats why when you are given your rights they say "anything you say or do can be used against you in" They mean it...they also say "you have the right to remain silent" You know how many people would get away with crime if they would just shut up...

based on if you have any priors you'll be lucky not 2 get time based on your state laws...good luck

not a law professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back