Police Jurisdiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

calijazz

Help! Does anyone know about police jurisdiction in GA? I was on my way home and supposedly I was going 68 in a 45 zone. The cop who stopped me was from the next county over. He said that he clocked me going that speed at the last spot in his county before my county, but he didn't stop me there. He stopped me way into my county. I thought that if they didn't catch you in their jurisdiction, then they couldn't stop you. Can anyone help?

calijazz said:
Help! Does anyone know about police jurisdiction in GA? I was on my way home and supposedly I was going 68 in a 45 zone. The cop who stopped me was from the next county over. He said that he clocked me going that speed at the last spot in his county before my county, but he didn't stop me there. He stopped me way into my county. I thought that if they didn't catch you in their jurisdiction, then they couldn't stop you. Can anyone help?
Just because an officer is officially part of a certain district, my understanding is that they have police power within the state. That is the absolute line of demarcation. But counties... that is one taht will likely vary and you'll have to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back