"Poison Dart" clause in will

Status
Not open for further replies.

smerelda

My father died recently and left a will giving my step-mother the use of the home & land until her death or she abandons the property for 180 days, or fails to fulfill her duties as executor of his estate. The estate involves a home and 170 acres of land. This was HIS inherited property and At her death it passes solely to me. My step-mother has a son from previous marriage who is being absolutely crazy & mean. My step-mother had leased a portion of the land for grazing and hunting rights to a man and this son has literally "run" him off the property." It is so ridiculous he has now refused to let me even hunt on the property. This son is named NO WHERE in this will but is taking advantage of the his mother and the fact that she has the use of the place. I know we will have to seek legal advice and probably the law's help but this leads me to my question:

My step-mother says the will has a "poison dart" clause in it stating that if anyone contests any portion of this will they will automatically lose EVERYTHING! Of course this applies only to me because I am an only child and the only one named in the will besides the stepmother. But she is the executor so if I even try to do anything about what is happening - will I lose everything?? I am beginning to believe that is what they want. To try and make things so impossible that I will seek legal help and fall prey to the poison dart! PS That is her term and I have never heard of it before.
Thank you for any help or advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back