Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused12

Ok i have never shoplifted before and the one time i do i get caught redhanded. I was in a grocery store and have been under tons of stress with school and broke like most college students. I went to get a cart but to kept walking it just seemed so easy so i did i wasn't in my right mind and was caught redhanded outside with $31.00 dollars worth of food. I don't even have so much as a traffic violation on my record and that is the first time i have ever done anything against the law. i feel horrible and just wish i could take it all back. I don't know if i should go into the court system alone or get a lawyer. Can someone please let me know the consequences of shoplifting in az. or what might happen

Confused12 said:
Ok i have never shoplifted before and the one time i do i get caught redhanded. I was in a grocery store and have been under tons of stress with school and broke like most college students. I went to get a cart but to kept walking it just seemed so easy so i did i wasn't in my right mind and was caught redhanded outside with $31.00 dollars worth of food. I don't even have so much as a traffic violation on my record and that is the first time i have ever done anything against the law. i feel horrible and just wish i could take it all back. I don't know if i should go into the court system alone or get a lawyer. Can someone please let me know the consequences of shoplifting in az. or what might happen
I don't know what county you are in but it might be good to talk to an attorney or even speak to someone in the office of the public defender. Perhaps you might be able to work something out with the store owner or the prosecutor before it goes to trial. It's not a lot of money, you have no prior record, etc. In several counties there is the ability to have probation without "adjudication" so if you successfully complete the probationary period then the charge will be dismissed and you will have no criminal conviction to worry about.

look! first things first.... write a letter saying what you just told us.... or go into the store in person and find the manager and tell him the same thing and pay for the $31.00. DO THIS BEFORE COURT! if you can, talk to the DA and let him know you paid restitution already and explain the same thing..... usually they dont want to mess with such a small thing if you have made restitution. if you cant talk to the DA go to the public defenders office and talk to them... there is always free consultations with attorneys..... use them! if you cant do those things go to court and plead not guilty.... they will give you a date... you will have to come back and then the DA will talk to you. since you paid restitiution and have no other offenses...... he will drop the case or have you agree to probabtion or something like that. if you are able to win over the store manager.... have him call or write a letter of "non prosecution to the DA's office ASAP. thats what i would do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back