Please help

Jason95

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Honestly I didn't want to come here because I have a pretty good assumption on where this is going to go... I'm 20 in 7 days, but my girlfriend is 16.. A lot of people frown upon that and I can understand where they are coming from, no there has been no sexual contact or anything that would legally put me under the terms of statutory rape, I have a lot of respect for women considering I grew up with 6 sister a mom and no father, my question is, would she be able to be emancipated in the state of Ohio, if she has my financial help on living on her own stably, the reason I am asking this is because her parents are abusive on many accounts they have used a bull whip on her, her little brother and me for no reason but out of their own amusement, including a cattle razed and whatever else they can get their hands on, there was even an incident where her mother slit her little brothers wrist open with a buck skin knife, the lie and manipulate both of them and take their money for their own use, they mentally abuse them on top of it, ( went along with lying and manipulating), I honestly don't think she is able to be emancipated but she will not consider anything other wise because her only other option would be foster care, which I informed her a legal guardian could obtain custody of there is reasonable cause which there is but she doesn't want that, I have been with her for 7 months not a long time but I've lived with her during that time period with parental permission, and I know this will be brought up yes it was said she used a knife in the medical report but she got out of it by lying and saying it was sheet metal (tin roofing). Please try not to be judge mental I know it seems like I'm a pervert and a lot of people do not approve but honestly I care a lot about her and I do not like seeing her well being in danger it bad she is even afraid to talk to her parents about anything. Please inform me of how this can be done if it can be at all..

Short answer: No. Ohio does not emancipate children. If there is abuse or neglect going on in the house, CPS needs to be contacted.

Answer the following important question.

Do you have a job earning sufficient income to live on your own, own a car, have insurance, pay all your bills AND provide 100% financial support for your girlfriend for the next few years while she at least finishes high school without a nickel from her parents ever?

I figure that'll take an income of at least $30,000 per year.

Anything much below that will cause significant money problems and money problems destroy even the best relationships.

Answer the following important question.

Do you have a job earning sufficient income to live on your own, own a car, have insurance, pay all your bills AND provide 100% financial support for your girlfriend for the next few years while she at least finishes high school without a nickel from her parents ever?

I figure that'll take an income of at least $30,000 per year.

Anything much below that will cause significant money problems and money problems destroy even the best relationships.

Ohio does not have statutes that cover emancipation of minors.

Ohio will recognize a minor as being emancipated in two, and only two, situations; lawful marriage, and enrollment in the active armed forces. For both of these parental consent is needed and I don't believe a 16 year old can enroll in the armed forces to start with, though I could be wrong about that. So emancipation is a no-go.

Either the situation is bad enough that she has to leave, or it isn't. A minor who considers themselves to be abused but who will only accept emancipation as the way out can't be too badly abused or they would take any way out at all.

Even if she was emancipated (not happening) this would not make the the sex or age of consent laws not valid. She still could not have sex, smoke, vote etc.

Really the best bet if she is being abused is to contact CPS.

Back