Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragofly78

My 17 year old daughter ran away. She is telling people her father and I beat her so people will let her stay w them! I'm mortified and not sure what to do. We live in Florida, what should I do?

My 17 year old daughter ran away. She is telling people her father and I beat her so people will let her stay w them! I'm mortified and not sure what to do. We live in Florida, what should I do?

This document is intended for runaways.

Its published by your FDLE.

Its an informative read.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/MCICSearch/Documents/RunawayBrochure.pdf

Now, as to the law in your state.

The State of Florida, declares it unlawful to shelter or aid anyone who is under the age of 18 years old.

Florida state law is very clear on "sheltering", as defined by the Becca Bill, and declares that it is against the law for any adult "other than the child's parent or guardian to shelter a runaway for more than 24 hours without permission of the child's parent or a law enforcement officer."

Additionally, aiding can also include helping a runaway teen obtain shelter, even if it is in a hotel or motel.

As a parent or guardian you should immediately file a police report.

The child may NOT have runaway, and could be in trouble.

If your child runs away, then the parent or guardian of the teenager is required to file a report with the police.

If the teenager is caught by the police, he or she may be detained at a juvenile detention center until arrangements can be made for his or her return.

Florida law says that the police must accept a report when it is filed, and no requirement exists for the teen to be missing longer 24 hours.

In essence, the moment you notice the child absent, file a police report.

Florida law requires that all police reports for runaways should be entered into the National Crime Information Center, although the police are not required to begin a search immediately.

Children who are believed to be in danger, under the age of 13 or are classified as mentally or physically disabled are put on the Critical Missing Persons list.

Amber Alerts are only issued for life-threatening situations and are "intended only for the most serious, time-critical child abduction cases."

Forget what the child is saying, just get her back and get her help.

But first, find her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back