Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharoninnc

I formally resigned from my position as property manager for a $23 million dollar property within a small property management company. I cited in my resignation letter that the company was no longer meeting my career needs. I gave a full 2 week notice and planned to work through it after over 2 years of unblemished service to the company. I was relieved of my duties 3 days after submitting my notice of resignation. I was told at approximately 4:30 pm on a Thursday that I had left the property in such good shape, they would not need me to work through the full notice but I would be paid through my notice date and paid out my time off. After settling all business on site in a hurried manner and balancing out all petty cash etc. I left the office. It was brought to my attention that I was named as a suspect in the disappearance of some equipment stored on site the weekend after my last day worked. The items were a canoe and extension ladder. I was not contacted by the company upper management, but rather by 2 previous employees and a courtesy officer (a police officer that lives on site and provides a property with extra patrols in exchange for a rent discount). I was informed that I was named out loud as a suspect several times in the office without being present to defend myself. I was never contacted to dispute this or submit a formal statement on my behalf. All conversations were conducted inside the office without my knowledge. The police were contacted and to date, a formal report has not been submitted, however, it is possible that an on site incident report is on file in the office with my name listed. I was told by the courtesy officer that my district manager, who is leading the "investigation", stated that I was "banned from the property" and the police should be called if I ever stepped foot in the community. She cited that I would be trespassing. The courtesy officer stated that this is not legal since I have to be informed that I am banned and there has to be reason for being banned. As you can imagine, I am extremely upset. It has been brought to my attention also that conversations are occuring surrounding my leaving and statements like "you know we let her go" are being made to insinuate that I was somehow terminated. These are all false statements against me and I am wondering what the best course of action is. I contacted my father, a former business owner and he said this might very well be a case of slander and that I should seek legal advice. He said that I should contact the president of the company via letter and explain what has come to my attention and demand that it stop, demand a formal apology and demand a letter of reference from the company stating that I left in good standing. This could affect my career going forward and I just really want to do the right thing here and put this behind me. Could you please advise me on what to do going forward? I appreciate your time and attention in advance.

You quit, some stuff disappeared, you were accused of stealing.

Is that a fair short version?

If so, what damages have you suffered?

Last edited:
I resigned. Stuff was missing. I was accused of something criminal in nature that could affect my future employment. It is also being insinuated that I have been terminated. I am trying to avoid being told "thanks but no thanks" by a future employer if I choose to interview. Is this or is this not a case of slander and defamation of character?

Just for the record.....

I was instructed by my family to contact legal counsel in order to determine the best possible plan of action. This company has attempted to destroy me with slanderous accusations. I realize the HR laws are now set up to answer generic questions, however, I want to stop this before it goes too far. I am merely asking for advice from the law to point me in the right direction. I am of the belief that a lawsuit is the very last resort. I would prefer to write a cease and desist letter to the president of the company and ask for a letter of recommendation that would clear up anything going forward. I found this website and asked for your advice and I was met with a very abrupt, sarcastic response. I don't know you, sir and I don't know why you feel the need to respond in such a smug manner. I have read other postings where you have done the very same thing. Your "bar side" manner needs some work, "Senior Judge". I have a brother with a PHd in linguistics and I've dealt with the smug attitudes of an academic before. I'm sure you won't respond because I've already bored you with my retort and there's nothing more for you to dismissively discuss any further. Thank you for your response and I won't bother you or waste any more of your time.

I was instructed by my family to contact legal counsel in order to determine the best possible plan of action. This company has attempted to destroy me with slanderous accusations. I realize the HR laws are now set up to answer generic questions, however, I want to stop this before it goes too far. I am merely asking for advice from the law to point me in the right direction. I am of the belief that a lawsuit is the very last resort. I would prefer to write a cease and desist letter to the president of the company and ask for a letter of recommendation that would clear up anything going forward. I found this website and asked for your advice and I was met with a very abrupt, sarcastic response. I don't know you, sir and I don't know why you feel the need to respond in such a smug manner. I have read other postings where you have done the very same thing. Your "bar side" manner needs some work, "Senior Judge". I have a brother with a PHd in linguistics and I've dealt with the smug attitudes of an academic before. I'm sure you won't respond because I've already bored you with my retort and there's nothing more for you to dismissively discuss any further. Thank you for your response and I won't bother you or waste any more of your time.

By all means hire a lawyer.

There was nothing sarcastic in my reply.

If you think I treated you badly, wait till you start dealing with opposing counsel. I will then look like a warm and cuddly puppy.

In any event, the FIRST thing that any lawyer will want to know is what kind of damages you have suffered. Not "potential" damages.

No damages, no case.

I didn't make that rule.:angel

Thank You...

I appreciate your response and respect the fact that you addressed me in this manner. I am the kind of person that believes that suing someone is the absolute last resort. I merely wanted to seek counsel on whether or not I could try a cease and desist letter to hopefully resolve this conflict with my previous employer. I don't want to let things get to a point where I'm being turned away from a potential employer because I was accused of a crime. I am aware that actual damage and reason for a lawsuit would only come at the time that damage can be proven. That's a little longer than I am willing to tolerate at this time. Most applications for employment with any corporation ask specific questions like, "have you ever been accused of stealing?". I want to answer that question without hesitation. I guess the line was drawn in the sand for me when I realized they had accused me of a crime. That has damaged my standing in this community and with potential employers. What are your thoughts on a cease and desist letter? Do these have a high rate of success? I just really want to put this behind me. Thanks again for your help and for the polite, respectful response.

I really have no experience with cease and desist letters.

It's hard to tell whether such a thing would work with the bad guys here since I do not know them.

However, if I were you, I would certainly hire a lawyer to write such a letter.

Thank Again....

My father has had some experience with a cease and desist letter and it was his recommendation to start there. I contacted a local lawyer and while I do not have damages to go on at this point, he said it would be best to contact the company to request they stop immediately. That's really all I wanted to do. I don't want to hire a lawyer and go through all the drama of suing the company. I just want them to stop. I went ahead and drafted a letter to the President and in my opinion it should get the job done. This company is notorious for accusing their former employees of all manner of things from criminal in nature to their personal lives. Some employees or previous employees have engaged in criminal behavior. I am not one of them however and I just wanted to move on from their partying ways. They have targeted me for "not going with the flow". Either way, whenever you try to leave, they always react like a teenager that has been dumped and I believe I have thwarted their attempts to get to me. I really just want to put it all behind me and move on with my life. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Sorry about the rough start we got. I guess I'm a smidge hypersensitive. Take care and thanks for your advice. I'll let you know if it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back