Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please help, Shoplifted in NY, No cop involved, First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

anait

It was my very first criminal act ever and I regret it.
I live in NY and there were no cop involved.

It was like $27 worth of stuff.
The security guy caught me outside of store and they took me back office.
They took my State ID information and he made me sign some paper. I was really confused and I did not pay attention to that paper so I am not sure what it was. I just print my name, wrote address and sign, and he put my ID info in that paper.
He said they are gona keep that paper for store. they let me go saying I'm banned from the store. And I will be getting letter saying I am banned from the store.

Will everything be okay if will not go to that store again? Will this be on my record? Will it show on background checks?

Any comment will be appreciated

Re: Please help, Shoplifted in NY, No cop involved, First T

The only record should be with store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to

Thank you for very quick reply.
I am so scared now and I really regret it.

So I was reading someone else post, and if I am understanding right, if the police is not involved I will not need to court or be charged? and if so there is no way this will show up on my background check? Also do I need to talk to lawyer even if the polis wasnt involved?

I am not sure what kind of letter I am getting, but I cant stop worrying that I will lose my job and ruin my life becuase of this.

With the likihood of no pending criminal charges talking to a a Lawyer might be premature. The "letter"mentioned is likely Civil Demand

Ok so if the letter is Civil Demand and I will pay fine right away, is there anything I need to do after that?
Also is it going to be on my record?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Unless criminal charges are filed the issue is over once you pay civil demand. As stated earlier the only record should be with store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to

I am from outside of US and I am not familiar with US law.
but you said "Unless criminal charges are filed" and in my case, do you think is there any chance criminal charges will be filed?

and also if the record is only with store and database they are using, there are no way my company will find this out if my company is not related to this industry? or if I am going to look for another company and they will do background check, it is not going to show up right?

I am sorry I have many many questions. I was so stupid to put myself in this.

do you think is there any chance criminal charges will be filed?

Its unlikely

there are no way my company will find this out if my company is not related to this industry?

There is no way anyone here can say for sure

I am going to look for another company and they will do background check

The event is unlikely to show up on any traditional criminal background check

Thank you so much for your help.

I guess I will wait till I get the letter.
I really appreciate all your support.

Your very welcome if this site was any help please post something in our testimonial section

I have another question....

For retail database, how would they use that database if they are subscriber?
I have read other post and it seems like they screen me if I am applying for job or will be working sensitive area(cashier etc).

I wonder would they go through all video they have and try to find me if I have shoplifted before at that store?
Or is there the chance any other subscriber will send me something, cus they find me on their video and shoplifted database?

I know this database is secret and cant tell certainly but I wonder what chance are there...

I wonder would they go through all video they have and try to find me if I have shoplifted before at that store?
If they have the time and manpower they could

Or is there the chance any other subscriber will send me something, cus they find me on their video and shoplifted database?
Not likely

I know this database is secret and cant tell certainly but I wonder what chance are there...

If they have the time and manpower they could

What chances are there? Do you know how often store do so?

Sorry I am so paranoid about this...
How stupid was me...

Thank you.

I have few more question regarding to background check.
Do you know if accounting firm tend to go through shoplifter database as background check?
And how long usually take store to put me in the database?

I really appreciate all help I got from here.

Basically only retailr subscribe to this database. However anyone willing to pay subscriber fee may do so. Far as when your name gets inputted in this day and age of computer I supect right away

Basically only retailr subscribe to this database. However anyone willing to pay subscriber fee may do so.

I wonder Do you know what chances are there any non-retailor subscribe to database?

Since who subscribes is closely guarded secret I cannot say but I doubt there are very many

I wonder if my employer call store, can they share any info or video about me?

I cant sleep until this is over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back