Other Green Card Issue Please help regarding Green Card renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liemle

My husband applied for his renewal of his green card almost 7 months ago and its still pending, I was reading up on some things and now I am really concerned and worried, He went to jail over 20 years ago but he did not get deported or anything and has been having a green card since I have known him. Doing the renewal process is he going to have trouble renewing it with this crime from over 20 years ago. Please help I am 7 months pregnant and really stressing out.

Little background. He came here in the 80's and got his green card, in 94 he committed a felony crime and spent 1 1/2 years in jail and was put on probation, since then he renewed his green card in 2003 with no problems, but the info I am reading online I guess its harder now to get a renewal. What I don't understand is why they didn't deport him or take his green card away then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many - but not all - felonies result in revocation. Things have changed though, and it does depend (somewhat) on exactly what the felony was. The biometrics part has changed even since 2003.

So..if you can share, what is the nature of the crime?

It was for fraud, he paid it back, went to immigration court he got a lawyer and they didnt deport him.

Felony fraud is not a good thing.

With that said, if he wasn't placed in deportation proceedings and the court was aware of his immigrant status, he may be okay.

I strongly encourage him to get an attorney who specializes in CIMT (crimes involving moral turpitude) as soon as possible.

My response is similar to Pro's except I do not think he needs to hire him immediately as much as he needs to have one qualified he can reach immediately if picked up by ICE or denied the renewal he filed.

Thanks for y'alls response. They could still pick him up even though its in the renewal processing still pending, when I called this morning they are backed logged till October 9th of last year and he did not send his in until December? As long as he has his receipt it should be ok correct?

Sorry I am just trying to understand all of this. If he is denied his renewal someone said something about a waiver is that correct? Will the judge take into act that he has not committed any other crime in over 20 years and has been working and has a family and a child on the way?

From what he told me last night when asking since it was so long ago, that they had him in deportation jail or something like that but his lawyer got him out of it and said you would not have to worry about getting deported anymore.

Immigration laws are in a state of chaos these days. Thousands of people are crossing the southern border daily, illegally. The immigration system and its court's are back logged for YEARS. Worrying won't help you, your baby, or your hubby. He says he's done all the right things, so now everyone waits. I hear the wait could linger into 2020 or longer. I suspect most people will be allowed to stay. Nothing will be addressed legislatively until after January of 2015 at the earliest, maybe January of 2017. So, concentrate on having a healthy baby. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back