Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft PLEASE HELP ME... shoplifting in a CA walmart...very scared and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omfgwhatdoido

please someone tell me what to do...
i am a college student in sacramento and i got caught stealing about $20 worth of makeup from walmart. i signed some papers and then they did a sight and release and sent me home telling me that i would be getting a summons for court and also a bill from walmart.

is there any way to get this removed from my record?
will i ever be able to shop at walmart again?
do i need to talk to a public defender?
what are the likely repercussions from this?
will i always have to say that i was arrested after this? or is there some way to get this taken off?
what happens when i go to court?

i am really scared and really broke. does anyone have any suggestions for how i can pay for the fees as well? are there ways to pay for this in installments?

if anyone can give me a step by step of what to do... please do.
i cant let my parents know about this. i would get disowned... they are staunch christians. is there any way to avoid them finding out? i am 20 years old but i live at home and am still considered a dependent.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. I am scared.

i just applied for a waitressing job at a restaurant by where i live... do i have to disclose this? will i have to disclose this to any jobs i apply for in the future?

btw...

by the way i have a clean record with theft...
i do however have a few speeding tickets and a seat belt violation.. does this affect my case at all?

You would want to make sure that the prosecutor agrees to charge you only with an infraction and not with a misdemeanor. This is the law:

490.1. (a) Petty theft, where the value of the money, labor, real
or personal property taken is of a value which does not exceed fifty
dollars ($50), may be charged as a misdemeanor or an infraction, at
the discretion of the prosecutor, provided that the person charged
with the offense has no other theft or theft-related conviction.
(b) Any offense charged as an infraction under this section shall
be subject to the provisions of subdivision (d) of Section 17 and
Sections 19.6 and 19.7.
A violation which is an infraction under this section is
punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

If it is being treated as an infraction it should not be on the record. If it is being charged as a misdemeanor it will be, but there are ways to "expunge" a record.

You should consult a criminal defense attorney about this.

I spoke with a defense attorney about my case (in Louisiana), and he told me an infraction would show up on a criminal record, so getting into diversion is still the best option. Do infractions differ from state to state?

every state makes its own rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back