Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft ***PLEASE HELP** Georgia Theft by Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawgurl

I was staying with a friend and paying rent. I spent more time there than him and made great money so I paid in full. I was told a total of a little over $3,000 to move in because of his credit. I paid full amount. It turns out they ONLY required half of that. I paid rent in full each month which he collected since house was in HIS name alone and I trusted this person yet we were evicted for non-pay of rent. I was told at 1 point that they were simply holding our rent to evict us since they knew he had someone living there with him and wasn't suppose to. He said they would add me to the lease for a $200 fee. I paid the fee and was NEVER added nor received my $ back. Basically I would like to get this person for Theft by conversion

: Georgia theft by conversion means that you took someone's money to apply it in some manner for them, such as a deposit or payment, and instead you used it for your own purposes. For example, an officer or an employee of a government or financial institution does not apply your payment to the intended account, but rather, pockets the money for their own use. In addition, Georgia theft by conversion also applies to rental property that you are using.

I need to know what to do first. I have my bank statements, the lease(which I believe he forged), I contacted to rental ppl haven't heard bk yet but a lady over the phone confirmed the move in fees were false and he NEVER paid rent in full.
I also found under an alias that he has a prev arrest record for none other than *Theft by conversion*

Do I call the Cops first or speak to a Lawyer?? Should I wait to hear back from the real estate lady on if they will provide orig lease and add info? What do I do??

I was staying with a friend and paying rent. I spent more time there than him and made great money so I paid in full. I was told a total of a little over $3,000 to move in because of his credit. I paid full amount. It turns out they ONLY required half of that. I paid rent in full each month which he collected since house was in HIS name alone and I trusted this person yet we were evicted for non-pay of rent. I was told at 1 point that they were simply holding our rent to evict us since they knew he had someone living there with him and wasn't suppose to. He said they would add me to the lease for a $200 fee. I paid the fee and was NEVER added nor received my $ back. Basically I would like to get this person for Theft by conversion

: Georgia theft by conversion means that you took someone's money to apply it in some manner for them, such as a deposit or payment, and instead you used it for your own purposes. For example, an officer or an employee of a government or financial institution does not apply your payment to the intended account, but rather, pockets the money for their own use. In addition, Georgia theft by conversion also applies to rental property that you are using.

I need to know what to do first. I have my bank statements, the lease(which I believe he forged), I contacted to rental ppl haven't heard bk yet but a lady over the phone confirmed the move in fees were false and he NEVER paid rent in full.
I also found under an alias that he has a prev arrest record for none other than *Theft by conversion*

Do I call the Cops first or speak to a Lawyer?? Should I wait to hear back from the real estate lady on if they will provide orig lease and add info? What do I do??

If you seek criminal prosecution of this person, make a report to the local police agency.
More than likely they'll advise you its a civil matter and you'll have to sue him in small claims to attempt to recover your alleged losses.
You can Google "GA small claims process YOUR CITY & COUNTY".
Most courts will offer you instructions on how to bring lawsuits.
It'll cost about $100 to file and have him served.
If you prevail, the amount you spent for filing, service, and court costs will be added to your award.

That's the easy part, because you won't walk away with a bag of cash.
You'll get a judgment that you must register, pay another fee, and then try and collect it.
More often than not, this process frustrates and angers people.
Why?
Because, after enduring weeks of nothing, you prevail, with a shiny judgment never taking a dime.
Its a pretty legal document souvenir, though.

Seriously, most people just take the loss as an expensive object lesson.
Its always better to rent your own place, or get an extended stay hotel.
What you've described is far more common than most people imagine.

I think you should consider exactly what he will testify to, if taken to court. You technically subleased off him. The money you paid, with the exception of $200 appears to have been rent paid to him. That does not necessarily equate to what he paid under his lease agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back