Please help a grandma...grandparental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

GApeach5760

I am a 46-year-old, widowed grandmother, residing in Georgia. I currently have legal custody of a grandson with adoption in progress. I have another grandson, who currently resides in Lucas County (Toledo) Ohio. Last October my daughter allowed a couple to temporarily care for my grandson, as she was moving to a homeless shelter secondary to an abusive living situation with the child's biological father (who has since moved to another state), at which time verbal arrangements were made with the couple regarding the child. They requested that he be allowed to stay through Christmas Day (only four days away). The day after Christmas, my daughter was served with papers for "change of custody" listing drug abuse, neglect, inability to raise a child (I have custody of their first child), and govenment assistance fraud to name a few, as reasons for the request. It was at this time, the Department of Child and Family Services was contacted with subsequent investigations. Subsequent to their investigation, DFCS deemed all allogations to be without merit. Of note, results of all drug screens administered to my daughter were conclusively negative. All other investigations (i.e., job, condition of home, food supply, interviews with neighbors/peers at job, reliable transportation, etc.) were found to be acceptable by their guidelines. Of note, the case worker stated that the living conditions with my daughter were better than those where he was staying. A guardian enlightum has been assigned and case is now on docket for this month. If for any reason, my daughter is not given custody of her son, I want to assume custody. My questions are; what must I do obtain custody of my grandson? What is proper protocol? Does the state of Ohio feel that a child should be with biological family? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If the state maintains jurisdiction over the children and does not give your daughter custody, you would have to try to be selected by the case workers involved as an appropriate caregiver. If the protective services action is dismissed, your daughter should have full custody rights and thus could let the children live with you if she chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back