Place of business

Sparadis

Jurisdiction
Quebec
Hello, first time asking question here.

Can a vehicle be known legaly as a place of business, if a a man usually transacts his affairs or business there?

Thx
SParadis

Hello, first time asking question here.

Can a vehicle be known legaly as a place of business, if a a man usually transacts his affairs or business there?

Thx
SParadis

Sorry, you need to seek a website that discusses Quebec and Canadian laws.

This site focuses on US based laws.

A law in my municipality, state that I can't do a specific kind of business in more than one house, store or business place. But with my present business model, I am doing business at my customer residence, so it puts me at fault since I am conducting business in more than one house. I was wondering if I were to sing all contract inside the car, could I designate mar car as my place of business ? This way I would be only be conducting my business in one business place.

But with my present business model, I am doing business at my customer residence, so it puts me at fault since I am conducting business in more than one house.

I don't think so. Correct me if I am wrong, but when you are at your customer's house you are providing a service just to that customer, right?

You don't have other customers coming to that customer's house to engage you for your services, right?

Example: An accountant works out of his home. His customers bring their records to him or he goes and picks them up. Sometimes he goes to somebody's home or business to sit and review their records. His primary place of business is still his home.

You can substitute any kind of business or service person for accountant. Even a contractor who works out of his home can provide services for customers, even sign contracts in his car or on a street corner but still have his place of business in his home.

My friend services and installs garage doors. His tools, equipment and supplies are on his truck. He makes contracts and invoices at his customer's location while sitting in his truck. His home is still his primary place of business. He gets all his business mail there. It's where his daily paperwork goes when he gets home. He has a room with his computer, accessories, office supplies and records from years gone by. He even gets a tax deduction from having an office in his home.

Your business location is where you get your business mail and that's the only business location you have to be concerned with.

I am not asking a specify answer related to Quebec, just a legal opinion on a general situation.

In the United States, even as a licensed attorney, I can't legally offer you a legal opinion without meeting you.

Perhaps one day things will change, but today a legal opinion can only be obtained from retaining an attorney, which means the attorney agrees to represent you.

Legal websites discuss and debate legal issues, but no advice is dispensed.

DISCLAIMER posted at the bottom of our entry page:

Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

I don't think so. Correct me if I am wrong, but when you are at your customer's house you are providing a service just to that customer, right?

You don't have other customers coming to that customer's house to engage you for your services, right?

Example: An accountant works out of his home. His customers bring their records to him or he goes and picks them up. Sometimes he goes to somebody's home or business to sit and review their records. His primary place of business is still his home.

You can substitute any kind of business or service person for accountant. Even a contractor who works out of his home can provide services for customers, even sign contracts in his car or on a street corner but still have his place of business in his home.

My friend services and installs garage doors. His tools, equipment and supplies are on his truck. He makes contracts and invoices at his customer's location while sitting in his truck. His home is still his primary place of business. He gets all his business mail there. It's where his daily paperwork goes when he gets home. He has a room with his computer, accessories, office supplies and records from years gone by. He even gets a tax deduction from having an office in his home.

Your business location is where you get your business mail and that's the only business location you have to be concerned with.

Ok, thx for the clarification

Back