PJC in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but if a PJC is granted in NC, does that mean my son is pleading guilty to the charge (80 in a 65)? If it is reported as not guilty, wouldn't nothing be reported to the Virginia DMV? He is 19 years old and has 2 tickets in VA (defective equipment and speeding 15 miles over a 55mph limit) and this latest one in NC (80 in a 65). I will be haaving a lawyer reoresent him and the lawyer said hge can definately get the charge reduced to 9mph over limit and might be able to get a PJC, but he didn't know if the PJC would be recognized in VA. A VA attorney tells me if the charge is dismissed (PJC) there would be nothing to report to VA DMV. Should we go for the 9mph over or the PJC? I'm confused. Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated!

A PJC is a determination of guilt by a jury or a court without any sentence being imposed. I don't think any NC DMV or SDIP (insurance) points are assigned but have no idea what till hapen if the conviction is reported back to VA. I also thought a PJC is for NC residents only but who know what might happen in court.

Reduction to 9 over is common with representation. Does you lawyer know about the previous convictions?

Yes, I told the lawyer about the previous convictions. But he, too, said he diodn't know how VA would treat the PJC or if they would recognize it all. A virginia lawyer (friend of mine) told me that it would depend on whether it was a conviction or not. From what you say, it is, in fact, a conviction.

I spoke with another NC lawyer and he only talked about the reduction to 9mph. He made no mention of a possible PJC.

Check with the VA DMV to see how they treat a NC PFJ. I think it will go down as a 15mph conviction. Getting it reduced to a 9 over is usually not a problem but ask the attorney about dismissal with court costs. Also find out if the NC DMV reports 9 overs to other states. I have gotten answers both ways.

have fun SJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back