1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh HOA too restrictive

Discussion in 'Homeowners Associations & Boards' started by livingpeacefull, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livingpeacefull

livingpeacefull Law Topic Starter New Member

I live in a community that is large, new (ish) and almost completely developed. The developer recently turned over the community governance to our elected board. There are committees within the board, one of which is a Rules committee. The rules committee recently published "Rules and Regulations" for our community that are much more restrictive and specific than the original covenents. Many cross over into what (IMO) is personal taste, i.e. mulch must be brown or black and cannot be red. Stuff like that. They have many entries regarding enforcement and fines and penalties that were also not in the original covenents. Is this legal?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Legal isn't the question, you mean can they impose these measures?

Yes, another reason to avoid a buying home where an HOA is involved. You might wish to speak with an attorney about your concerns. Of course, the expense comes out of your pocket.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

3. livingpeacefull

livingpeacefull Law Topic Starter New Member

Dang...I was afraid I'd hear that. :) Thank you for your help.