Photos posted online public access

Status
Not open for further replies.

katm

I allowed someone to shoot photographs of me. I saw the photos posted online on a website that allows different privacy settings. I never was asked or gave permission for these photos to be posted online, let alone the fact that the photos are completely public and accessed by typing in my name. I searched my name in a search engine and was able to get to these photos. I never gave permission for such a thing. Is this legal for someone to do this? They are on Flickr, do they allow this? I can't tell by reading their privacy policy.

Thank you,
Kat

The first shoot was for a photography exhibit he was doing. After that he just wanted to shoot me. He wanted to start a photography business and I assumed that he would use them for his portfolio. But not online and certainly not by typing in my name. That becomes about me and not him. I was not supposed to own them. I just discovered them and have not confronted him yet. I was thinking if it was illegal or at least against the policy of the website I could have the website take them down and also he would not be able to post my photos again possibly on that site. That way I really would know they were down and not just made not public. I hadn't totally decided if I expect them down entirely, but given he never asked if he could do that I think I am leaning in that direction.

Well when you say own them. I don't own the rights to them exclusively, but I do own them since I have possession of the images also. I mean the digital files, not just prints.

What was the agreement? If the photographer took pictures of you, what was the purpose? Was it done for you? Was there an understanding with regard to publishing - what was the goal? Possession is one thing but it doesn't mean rights have been granted.

Unfortunately it seems you don't have a written agreement so this could be a complicated mess.

The first shoot was for a photography exhibit he was doing. After that he just wanted to shoot me. He wanted to start a photography business and I assumed that he would use them for his portfolio. But not online and certainly not by typing in my name. That becomes about me and not him. I was not supposed to own them. I just discovered them and have not confronted him yet. I was thinking if it was illegal or at least against the policy of the website I could have the website take them down and also he would not be able to post my photos again possibly on that site. That way I really would know they were down and not just made not public. I hadn't totally decided if I expect them down entirely, but given he never asked if he could do that I think I am leaning in that direction.

OK - got it - what does it mean for an "exhibit he was doing?" Why did you agree to model - for the sole purpose of helping this guy out? Were you not being compensated? What is the exchange here?

Right now my understanding is that this session was limited to use of your images for the exhibit and potentially with co-ownership of the photos for that purpose and only for online portfolio as it relates to the exhibit. My feeling is that you'll need to make it clear what the intentions were and the agreement, especially as discussed. I'm still fuzzy on the details - why were you investing time?

No matter what, this is unfortunately going to be a little messy in the absence of a simple written agreement which you should have any time you model. Now you understand why.

Never, never, never allow anyone to take pictures of you that you would NOT want your mother or father to view! Never, no way, no how, no matter what!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exhibit was at a gallery, it was not online. I was not being compensated. He was giving me the images in exchange. I was doing it as a favor really, because he is a former employer of mine. I also shoot, although I don't really shoot models. I have seen numerous times that a photographer asks to shoot a model to build their portfolio and didn't think much of it. Clearly that was a mistake. Worst case scenario is I can ask him to at least remove my name so it doesn't come up on a search. I don't think I will have a problem having him do that. There was not a specific agreement. You are fuzzy, because the situation was fuzzy.

As to the comment from Army Judge, you've made an assumption that these are photos I wouldn't want my mother to see. That is not the case. But that doesn't mean I want anyone who searches my name to see all these photos of me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back