Phone Wires cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

superman1971

We had our phone system installed into our new offices and unfortunately the payment didn't clear the bank. The question is: Can the installer come to my office and cut the wires on my phone system that I own? He did not cut the wires he installed, he cut the wires on my phone system itself. Can he do this?

We had our phone system installed into our new offices and unfortunately the payment didn't clear the bank. The question is: Can the installer come to my office and cut the wires on my phone system that I own? He did not cut the wires he installed, he cut the wires on my phone system itself. Can he do this?

You answered your own question.

You said he cut the wires.

Not only "can" he cut this wires, he allegedly "did" cut the wires!

I will rephrase...

Is it legal for him to cut the wires on our phone system? The phone system is ours and he was hired to run the wires from this system into my offices. He cut the wires on the system and NOT the wires he installed. So is this legal?

Is it legal for him to cut the wires on our phone system? The phone system is ours and he was hired to run the wires from this system into my offices. He cut the wires on the system and NOT the wires he installed. So is this legal?

Probably not, if things are as you indicated.

Did you see him cut your wires?

Did any of your employees observe him cutting your wires?

If you did, he probably committed a maliscious destruction of property or vandalism related offense.

You should report this to your local police agency.

California Penal Code
591. A person who unlawfully and maliciously takes down, removes,
injures, or obstructs any line of telegraph, telephone, or cable
television, or any other line used to conduct electricity, or any
part thereof, or appurtenances or apparatus connected therewith, or
severs any wire thereof, or makes any unauthorized connection with
any line, other than a telegraph, telephone, or cable television
line, used to conduct electricity, or any part thereof, or
appurtenances or apparatus connected therewith, is punishable by
imprisonment in the state prison, or by a fine not exceeding five
hundred dollars ($500), or imprisonment in the county jail not
exceeding one year.

The trick here is to show that it was done maliciously.
In this case it was done because the check didn't clear the bank. If you contact the police and explain the situation they might take a 591 report, but they may also just refer you to the civil court.

Yes, he certainly can (and did) cut the wires, but there are consequences for those actions civilly, and possibly criminally if you pursue them.

It sounds like you have quite a case...and that's not exactly the best way to conduct business. If he was that upset about your payment not clearing the bank, he should have gone to you or filed a suit against you, not cut your wires! That sounds malicious to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back