Justice System, Police, Courts Phone call post Arrest under warrant

LEMagnet

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I was arrested on a Failure to Appear warrant for a traffic misdemeanor, with no bond, from 2020, booked into county jail and placed in a holding cell. I have researched but am unable to find a clear answer to whether or not there are any legal standards as to phone calls. I have seen answers for arrests without warrant, for those actually confined in jail and not in a holding cell, etc. I was just curious as I was processed around midnight, and began asking to use phone for call to lawyer at 8am, when i was told phone time began. I kept getting told I was "on the list" and the phone time had to go through all the holding cells. Finally around 1230 pm, I asked if this is the protocol for an initial free attorney call? Then in a few minutes an officer came and took me to a free phone by the desk with no more mention of a waiting list. I requested a phone book or list of attorneys and was told nothing was available. I then phoned a friend, whose number I knew, and asked them to contact an attorney for me. Basically, did I have any actual rights regarding the call in general, the time frame regarding the call, and the availability of attorney phone numbers given my circumstances? Thanks for any insight.

did I have any actual rights regarding the call in general, the time frame regarding the call, and the availability of attorney phone numbers given my circumstances?

I suggest you discuss your charge(s), events, incidents, and circumstances incidental to your arrest and incarceration ONLY with your ATTORNEY.

Basically, did I have any actual rights regarding the call in general, the time frame regarding the call, and the availability of attorney phone numbers given my circumstances? Thanks for any insight.

There is no specific right to a phone call in the federal or state Constitutions. Any such right would be up to the applicable state law and the practices and procedures of the department processing your arrest. However, you are entitled to a lawyer during questioning and a phone call by you to your lawyer is generally permitted for that. The jail also generally will allow a call for your to arrange bail. But none of those calls have to be immediately after arrest and booking.

Back