Philadelphia unemployment Lien

Philadelphia_79

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I was on unemployment about 8 years ago. I collected for around two years. I had a part time job during this time at a cheap diner where I often did not make much money. I would declare to unemployment each week how much I made. I guess there was a discrepancy and unemployment must have contacted the restaurant who submitted amounts I made which were completely falsified and inflated (this restaurant has since gone under). As a result unemployment now states I collected unemployment when I was not entitled. I disputed this however I also was evicted at that time and although I had my mail forwarded you can not forward government mail so if I received any info regarding my disputes it went unanswered. They have been sending me bills for $12,000! Just recently I've been receiving many solicitations from small law firms stating a lien has been filed against me and they could represent me. I do not own property nor assets, no cars. A very small checking account is all I have. I read in PA a lien can only be filed against real estate? Should I be concerned? I have no real estate? Will this bill cancel out after so many years? Is bankruptcy my only solution?

I had a part time job during this time at a cheap diner where I often did not make much money.

This is what hurts most people when they find themselves in legal jeopardy.

I guess there was a discrepancy and unemployment must have contacted the restaurant who submitted amounts I made which were completely falsified and inflated (this restaurant has since gone under).

As long as the state has PROOF, and your PROOF differs from their PROOF, that only aids the state in their ability to extract remuneration from you.

As a result unemployment now states I collected unemployment when I was not entitled.

Again, their truth versus your truth, and the matter will be tried in the venue they administer.

Are you starting to see how this game is played?

They have been sending me bills for $12,000! Just recently I've been receiving many solicitations from small law firms stating a lien has been filed against me and they could represent me. I do not own property nor assets, no cars. A very small checking account is all I have.

They want the money they allege you owe.

You have very little wiggle room.

You DO have that bank account, and the government knows about it.

Soon, they'll begin siphoning off your money, no matter how little it might be.

Soon, they begin to cause you great pain.

I read in PA a lien can only be filed against real estate? Should I be concerned? I have no real estate? Will this bill cancel out after so many years? Is bankruptcy my only solution?

Bankruptcy can sometimes eliminate the sting of some governmental collections.

I suggest you discuss the possibility of a chapter 7 bankruptcy with a few good attorneys near you.

I will say nothing more, because you need to do the research to fully understand the dilemma that confronts you.

did you just report your wages or did you also report your tips? It is possible the employer rightly included your tips..... And paid UI taxes for you on the wages and tips. There was no real reason for the employer to inflate your wages -- it actually would hurt them in two ways (1) it would cause them to pay more quarterly taxes and (2) it would make your claim against them larger since the amount is based on past wages.... Unfortunately the time to deal with this was 8 years ago. Your best bet now might be to set up a (small)payment plan if possible. Because in the end, I suspect they will get their $s one way or the other unless you can clear it via bankruptcy.

Back